The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Well not really. I and my partner did an excellent job. Double header last evening. First game ended in 5 innings (11 - 1). The next game WENT 12 INNINGS! Aargh.

Had some good hits and some pitiful defense. In second game Visitors were up 6 - 1 in the 5th. With bases loaded the visiting shortstop tries to show off and misses the 3rd out by dropping an easy pop up behind the pitcher's mound; home team scores 2. Next batter hits double. Score is now 6 - 5. Home team scores 1 in bottom of 7th to get into extra innings (on another shortstop error). Visitors score 1 in the 10th; so does home team. Twice there were pending scorers with a line drive back at the pitcher. Twice the line drive was caught - one by each team; no score. In the bottom of the 12th, home batter is walked. Next batter, that hasn't got a stick on the ball all evening, pulls one from below his knees for a stand-up double. Score, game over, 7 - 8.

It is amazing how whiny a coach can get in the tightness of an extra inning game. His team was 2 and 12 entering the DH but it was in my game that everything became the umpire's fault. Childish crap; but we perservered.

Thank God the extra inning game was not the first game.

Ooh. There was a confusion play. Runner on 1st and 2nd. Catcher asks for the count. Announce to catcher and batter 2 - 1. Pitch comes in; Ball. Batter takes off for 1st. Other runners casually trot to the next base. The catcher stands with the ball. Call the batter back. Runners now at 2nd and 3rd. Coach is whining that I need to send them back - "No; it is a live ball." Count is now 3 - 1. (Yes, I messed up. Should have assessed a strike for batter being out of the box). Next pitch was another ball. Bases loaded. Next batter pops out to end the inning. Thought it was kind of funny.
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

What level ball was this?
Your post made me remember some incidents like this one:

I can remember years ago walking off a youth league game where the losing team's coach thought I had a strike zone that was too liberal (for 12 yr olds). Given the level of pitching that you usually see, the only way to get the bats off the shoulders is to go off the plate and higher and lower.

As I pass the losers dugout as I am leaving the game, I hear the coach consoling his players by saying "Guys, it's not your fault that you lost the game -- that umpire cost us the game."

I couldn't resist so I looked in to the dugout and said to the kids: " the reason why you lost the game is that the other team scored more runs than you did."

I never wonder anymore why player attitudes can be so bad because there are unfortunately too many coaches (and parents) that act like the coach at this game.

When I do think of those events though, I also think they are funny. If not, I probably would have quit a long time ago.

SL-Geo
Old Thu Apr 17, 2003, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

High School Varsity - a couple of our larger schools... so purportedly, our better teams. There were probably at least a half dozen errors in each game (two or three balls thrown out of play, dropped flies in the outfield, mishandled grounders...)
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 06:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Talking

I just LOVE ones like I had the other day.. 0-0 bottom for 3rd. Ended up 11-0 after 5. Walk city. I'll take a 9 or 12 inning 7-6 game anyday instead of that.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2003, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Even if you call the strike... not a bad trade. A free double steal for 1 strike. Ever seen this done on purpose?
Old Tue Apr 22, 2003, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes I have seen this twice. Once for sure on purpose. Both times runners advanced, and both times I called a strike on the batter. Neither time did the catcher throw the ball, but turned and asked what the count was....too late. The intent of the rule is to deter players from delaying the game. Was there an intent to delay...an educated guess, but the situation dictates the strike call.
Old Wed Apr 23, 2003, 04:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump
Tony,
dont feel bad. I was in cocoa beach at the PBUC evaluation camp, being observed by 3 minor league evaluators.

1 out, 2-2 count on the batter, pitcher throws a cock-shot, i sell it with my strike three mechanic. Third base coach runs down the line "thats bull$#it!! there's no way thats a strike!!" i dump him before he's half way down the line. a heated argument ensues. after everything calms down, we get a new batter. 0-0 count, im still pumped up, first pitch = cock-shot, i sell it with my strike three mechanic. all this in front of 3 men who could give me a job.

it could be worse