The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Tony La Russa and the Bullpen (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/82766-tony-la-russa-bullpen.html)

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:26am

Tony La Russa and the Bullpen

Is anyone anywhere buying TLR's explanation of what happened last night? Ironically, I respect him too much to believe his explanation. There's no chance TLR would have a pitcher up that he didn't want up.

JRutledge Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 795784)
Is anyone anywhere buying TLR's explanation of what happened last night? Ironically, I respect him too much to believe his explanation. There's no chance TLR would have a pitcher up that he didn't want up.

Ron Washington was asked about this and he said the same thing happened to him as well previously. I tend to believe both of them.

Peace

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 795785)
Ron Washington was asked about this and he said the same thing happened to him as well previously. I tend to believe both of them.

Peace

Ron was asked if he'd ever heard of that happening before, his exact response was a grin, a chuckle, and then "I guess so". He didn't buy it either, but then after the follow up question of "How would you deal with that" he said "You push through it."

Here's why I don't buy it. Say it happened exactly as he said, and he wanted Motte - only to learn he was not ready. The TLR we've seen in the past would have chosen that moment to have a conniption fit (or have a coach do it), or fake an injury, or SOMETHING to make sure the pitcher HE wanted was coming in. This "reason" (excuse) sounds more like CYA to me.

Rich Ives Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 795784)
There's no chance TLR would have a pitcher up that he didn't want up.

Yes there is. Miscommuniction happens. Fact of life.

JRutledge Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 795792)
Ron was asked if he'd ever heard of that happening before, his exact response was a grin, a chuckle, and then "I guess so". He didn't buy it either, but then after the follow up question of "How would you deal with that" he said "You push through it."

Here's why I don't buy it. Say it happened exactly as he said, and he wanted Motte - only to learn he was not ready. The TLR we've seen in the past would have chosen that moment to have a conniption fit (or have a coach do it), or fake an injury, or SOMETHING to make sure the pitcher HE wanted was coming in. This "reason" (excuse) sounds more like CYA to me.

The part of the interview I saw he claimed it happened to him too. He did not give details or say where, but he claimed it happened to him. Also something seemed up as TLR brought in a guy just to intentionally walk a batter. That is not typical. Also it is well known that you cannot see the bullpen from the dugout the visiting team is located.

I guess my point is why would someone lie about this situation? I think he did not want to throw someone under the bus either and call out a bullpen guy and say they were responsible. Just my take, but then again I am a Cardinal's fan.

Peace

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:40am

My best friend is a StL fan as well and he doesn't agree with my take on this. Ironic considering my take comes from 100% faith in TLR that he does not do what he does not want to do. As to why he would lie... the media is a tool. He would certainly not be the first to lie to them, and he is a baseball genius - if he's lying (IF!!!), he has a reason. He is a master - and is always thinking 15 moves ahead. For me (or anyone) to try to guess if or why he's lying to the media would be futile and actually rather silly.

yawetag Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 795792)
The TLR we've seen in the past would have chosen that moment to have a conniption fit (or have a coach do it), or fake an injury, or SOMETHING to make sure the pitcher HE wanted was coming in.

Citation needed.

Rich Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 795804)
Citation needed.

Everyone not in St. Louis knows LaRussa is a weasel who thinks way too highly of himself.

Adam Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 795806)
Everyone not in St. Louis knows LaRussa is a weasel who thinks way too highly of himself.

You could say this about any coach or manager at the college level and above.

JRutledge Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 795806)

I am not from St. Louis, but I do not look at TLR has much different from any coach. All he has done is win more than others, but not sure why he would lie about this story. Just like I do not get the motives that are questioned by officials, I do not get why he has to lie about this. I think we want it both ways, we want people to tell the truth but we get upset when they give it to us.

Peace

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 25, 2011 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 795804)
Citation needed.

Exactly how would one go about compiling a bibliography for ones opinions? (WTF are you talking about!??!)

Rich Tue Oct 25, 2011 01:59pm

Let's All Enjoy The National Barbecuing Of Tony La Russa

radwaste50 Tue Oct 25, 2011 02:04pm

Can you here me now............

voiceoflg Tue Oct 25, 2011 02:16pm

I wonder if LaRussa might have a hard time saying "Rzepczynski." When he said "Motte" I wonder if the bullpen coach thought he said "Marc."

*shrug*

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 25, 2011 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by voiceoflg (Post 795828)
I wonder if LaRussa might have a hard time saying "Rzepczynski." When he said "Motte" I wonder if the bullpen coach thought he said "Marc."

*shrug*

That's probably what happened. Tony said Motte, and the bullpen coach heard Marc. Then, since Marc was actually pitching at the time, he decided to simply warm up nobody.