The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 25, 2011, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Total Knee Replacement

I have been told by my doctor that I need total knee replacement surgery. Has anyone had this done? Were you able to return to officiating basketball or baseball? If so how long did it take to get back?
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Can't vouch for that but I had a hip replacement and worked baseball 3 months later with limited movement. After almost 9 months, I was able to do basketball but at lower levels.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I have been told by my doctor that I need total knee replacement surgery. Has anyone had this done? Were you able to return to officiating basketball or baseball? If so how long did it take to get back?
My dad had both knees totally replaced. He took a season off and is now back out there. He can't do more than 2 games a day now because of the knees but other than that he is fine.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

There is an umpire locally who had both knees replaced at the same time (against the recommendation of the surgeon. In three months he was back at work and in seven months umpiring ball games. He claims he feels no pain and works multiple games on weekends as if he were 30 years younger.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Talk to your Surgeon, Primary Care Physician, and Physical Therapist!!!!!!

They will know better than anyone here how long it should take getting back into the swing of things.
Old Fri Nov 11, 2011, 08:28pm
Veteran College Umpire

I agree with Shickenbottom (what kind of moniker is that, anyway?) - a lot of variables factor in - age, weight, physical condition, preexisting conditions (arthritis, diabetes, etc). I had a hip replaced and after a 5 month (off-season) rehab I literally was as good as new and back to umping a full D1 schedule.
Good luck - and do whatever your Physical Therapist tells you to do, even if you don't want to!

JJ
Old Tue Nov 15, 2011, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Hey JJ, are you able to run at full speed and what did you do to build up the muscles in the hip area?
Old Wed Nov 16, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I know of people who have returned to skiing after replacements.

One person I know who had a knee replacement said the key is doing all the therapy after the surgery. Don't get lazy and take it easy.
Old Fri Nov 25, 2011, 08:21pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck View Post
Hey JJ, are you able to run at full speed and what did you do to build up the muscles in the hip area?
Well, full speed for me...
I did resume full activities following rehab, and have had no ill effects. I'm just as fast (slow) as I ever was. I did a lot of bike riding (5 miles a day - for me that's a lot) before and after surgery, and a lot of stair climbing. That seemed to do the trick. As for going "all out", well, that's as much of a confidence in the surgery thing as anything....my surgeon says I've got 15 years minimum before I have to think about prosthesis failure. Of course, that's what he said after the FIRST surgery, which was good for 15 MONTHS.
My attitude now is "have at it, come what may."

JJ
Old Fri Dec 02, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Well, full speed for me...
I did resume full activities following rehab, and have had no ill effects. I'm just as fast (slow) as I ever was. I did a lot of bike riding (5 miles a day - for me that's a lot) before and after surgery, and a lot of stair climbing. That seemed to do the trick. As for going "all out", well, that's as much of a confidence in the surgery thing as anything....my surgeon says I've got 15 years minimum before I have to think about prosthesis failure. Of course, that's what he said after the FIRST surgery, which was good for 15 MONTHS.
My attitude now is "have at it, come what may."

JJ
I still get dizzy working with you since your replacement. Having replaced your hip backwards, forcing you to run in circles, has definitely placed more hardships on your partner.....
Old Mon Dec 05, 2011, 07:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
I know of people who have returned to skiing after replacements.

One person I know who had a knee replacement said the key is doing all the therapy after the surgery. Don't get lazy and take it easy.
This is true. The trick is in the therapy. You do what you are told, when you are told and just a little bit more.

The issue is more getting the quad and hamstring back into shape and balance.

Right knee done couple years ago. No skiing. Doctor was emphatic about that. Said he didn't care what type of brace I wore, he had too many slopeside calls of emergency surgery.

Surgery in February, driving and back to work (desk job) 17 days later. Worked a couple games in October and full time the following season.

Occassional pain when I do something stupid, but otherwise the only thing I cannot do (other than skiing) is kneel. Work plenty of games, knee is never an issue.