LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:40pm
Official Forum Member

Chew, Chew, Chew Changes

2011 World Series -- Senators urge baseball to ban tobacco - ESPN

Maybe it is time.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that it is time to stop the "dip" in MLB, but I do not think that the government needs to bother itself about it. It's bad enough they are involved in just about every part of our lives. Do they really need to be involved in baseball, too?
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
I agree that it is time to stop the "dip" in MLB, but I do not think that the government needs to bother itself about it. It's bad enough they are involved in just about every part of our lives. Do they really need to be involved in baseball, too?
That's funny. The government has been involved with baseball before. (Think, Roger Clemens?)

It's nothing new.

Rita
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 10:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
I do like the Bowie reference!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy6900 View Post
Some think the government should be less involved, some think more invilved, some think jsut as involved as they are now, some think the level is fine, but the focus needs to be changed.

I hope that covers it, and no one feels the need to turn this into a political discussion.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 09:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Some think the government should be less involved, some think more invilved, some think jsut as involved as they are now, some think the level is fine, but the focus needs to be changed.

I hope that covers it, and no one feels the need to turn this into a political discussion.
With all due respect, Bob, this became a political issue when politicians involved themselves in the discussion. They chose to make it a political discussion, not us.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 10:37am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
The senators noted that millions of people will tune in to watch the World Series, including children.
Not nearly as many children as you'd think, with all games being played at night.

Quote:
"The use of tobacco by big league ballplayers at a single World Series game provides millions of dollars worth of free television advertising for an addictive and deadly product."
As opposed to the millions of dollars spent on advertising alcohol, which is SOLD at the games.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioBlue View Post
With all due respect, Bob, this became a political issue when politicians involved themselves in the discussion. They chose to make it a political discussion, not us.
Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Not nearly as many children as you'd think, with all games being played at night.
Kids do not watch baseball anymore anyway. It is older 45 year old and older that grew up on the game and mostly white males. Heck hardly anyone outside of that is consistently watching baseball. The kids are more into the NBA and the NFL. And that does not matter if the games are played at day or night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
As opposed to the millions of dollars spent on advertising alcohol, which is SOLD at the games.
That is what I do not get. We worry about the "kids" but then they expose them to ads with a think they cannot even have until they are 21, then we get upset over what someone puts in their mouth during a game?

Peace
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
That's funny. The government has been involved with baseball before. (Think, Roger Clemens?)
It's been involved with baseball far longer than that. (Think, anti-trust exemption.)
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 07:24pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
It's been involved with baseball far longer than that. (Think, anti-trust exemption.)
Yep.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post

I'm confused as to why anyone would consider this political. The four senators did not propose government involvement or intervention. They requested that MLB institute its own policy.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

My son and I got home from football practice (post season begins in two weeks) and after his shower and homework, asked me to put on the World Series. We aren't fans of either club. He is eleven and watched it until bedtime along with his twelve year old sister. When they came downstairs this morning, the first question he asked was, "Who won?"

Baseball still has plenty of young viewers. I get to a few Cubs home games each year and at least one White Sox contest. It still makes me smile to see so many kids wearing the baseball gloves in hopes of catching a foul ball or having it signed.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideTheStripe View Post
Kenesaw Mountain Landis
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 11:08am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
My son and I got home from football practice (post season begins in two weeks) and after his shower and homework, asked me to put on the World Series. We aren't fans of either club. He is eleven and watched it until bedtime along with his twelve year old sister. When they came downstairs this morning, the first question he asked was, "Who won?"

Baseball still has plenty of young viewers. I get to a few Cubs home games each year and at least one White Sox contest. It still makes me smile to see so many kids wearing the baseball gloves in hopes of catching a foul ball or having it signed.
You also said they watched until they went to bed, they obviously did not watch the entire game. When I was a kid they played World Series games during the day many times and we watched the entire game when it was at night. That is part of the problem because the game ends when many that could be interested are going to bed for the biggest games of the year. Baseball is marketing their sport terribly IMO to the very people that will make the game enjoyable for those to grow up and play it. The other sports do a much better job.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Totally agree.

Kids do not watch baseball anymore anyway. It is older 45 year old and older that grew up on the game and mostly white males. Heck hardly anyone outside of that is consistently watching baseball. The kids are more into the NBA and the NFL. And that does not matter if the games are played at day or night.

Peace
And what Gallup Poll did you commission to reach that conclusion?

If truth be told (it kills me to say it) Soccer will soon be the sport of choice when the kids grow up.