The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster...

I am a basketball official who often lurks on that board, and I am also a high school junior varsity baseball coach. I have a dilemma regarding a lineup situation, and was hoping to get some advice from veteran umpires on this board.

I only have 11 players on my team, so my bench is very short. My first basemen is a very good baserunner, but has a weak stick. I have another player who will DH for him, but is literally the slowest player I have ever coached.

I searched other threads on the board about this and the consensus seems to be that this is a legal thing to do...

Able is playing 1B and is being DH'd for by Baker. 1st inning, Baker gets a single. Able in to run for Baker (killing the DH). 4th inning, Baker uses his rentry to hit for Able and singles. Able uses his reentry to pinch run for Baker.

Other threads reference the Spring 2000 Federation newsletter that rules this as legal, so I'm not really questioning whether or not I can do this.

I plan to tell the umpire before every game that this is something that I am potentially planning to do. Considering that this is the JV level and I am going to have lesser experienced umpires working my game, what suggestions do you have if the umpire says that I can't make those substitutions?

Thanks,
lp

[Edited by lpneck on Apr 8th, 2003 at 02:02 PM]
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

I had a rough time with this ruling myself and would like to see the newsletter - two players have re-entry rights to one spot in the batting order. The JV official would likely want to see it also. Explain what you are planning to do and supply him with a copy of the newsletter.

Make several copies. Send me one.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Very politely tell him that you will protest the game if he doesn't permit this. Both the DH and the player he's batting for have re-entry privileges.

Why are you assuming they won't know the rule allowing this?

Bob
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Strange that you should ask.

See DTTB's post.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2003, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Definitely legal. Fed Rule 3-1-1 clearly stipulates all starters may be withdrawn and re-entered once. There are 10 starters. Two of them occupy the same place on the lineup card. When Baker runs for Able it kills the DH but it doesn't kill Able. He still has re-entry status. When Able returns to bat for Baker, he has re-entered and Baker is out of the game for the first time. Now Baker may re-enter. The next substitute for Able ends his playing status.
Old Wed Apr 09, 2003, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by bluezebra
Very politely tell him that you will protest the game if he doesn't permit this. Both the DH and the player he's batting for have re-entry privileges.

Bob

bluezebra
Wouldn't matter in Alabama, NO protests allowed in High school games. I thought this was strange when I first heard it though.