The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

My son's team is a 13under AAA team. What kind of batting criteria would anyone suggest for a batting order for this age level? Also, does anyone know of a site that I can recommend to others about how to ice young atheletes down?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 08:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by vfrgurrl
My son's team is a 13under AAA team. What kind of batting criteria would anyone suggest for a batting order for this age level? Also, does anyone know of a site that I can recommend to others about how to ice young atheletes down?
Alphabetical order by height.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Bob,
Isn't that what Yogi Berra suggested? And he's a professional!

Jerry
Old Mon Apr 07, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

"What kind of batting criteria would anyone suggest for a batting order for this age level?"

The best batting criteria is the one that wins that game. At 13yrs old, Im sure you don't have 9 sluggers. therefore I have always tried to disperse my good hitters throught out the line-up to support either the weaker player or the player with the best on-base (OBA) average.

It all depends upon what type of hitting team you feel you have. How many can actually bunt the ball?

Your number one and two batters usually are players that have the best OBA with the sluggers in the 3,4,and 5 spots. This works for the first inning and sometimes is good to get a quick lead. But then what happens the next at bat. Do you just settle for three and out, hoping that the power of the order repeats its begining of the game tactics.

How about when little johnny gets sick and you spent all night putting your batting order together, poof, out door with it.

Bottom line, there is no magic formula here. You must analyse your teams talent and figure out how to make a batting order that works around it. One myth that doesn't apply at that age level is that pitchers bat last. Usually the pitcher at 13 yrs old, is more talented than most of the other players. They can generally also hit and field better too. Also, sometimes you want to move players up in the order as a type of reward for the hard work at hitting. If you come up with a good plan that works all the time, patent it and sell it to MLB, because Im sure they would be interested.