The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Parent Etiquette (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/81313-parent-etiquette.html)

Rich Mon Oct 10, 2011 08:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 792429)
Why did you work for an assignor who had never umpired?

It's worse sometimes. I worked for a college assignor who umpired for many years. As soon as he became the assignor he immediately started taking the side of the rats to show them and the conference commissioner that he wasn't an apologist for the umpires.

jicecone Mon Oct 10, 2011 01:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 792417)
The MLB book states umpires should keep the book with them at all times. Do you walk onto a field with it in your back pocket?

Never walked on the field anywhere with it in my back pocket, nor did I imply that anyone should.

But just in case you couldn't get the crux of what I was saying, try this.

If your ego lacks the self confidence as an official that a coach walking on the field with a rule book is so totally offensive to you that your "dumping any coach that brings a rule book to me to question a call", then your part of the problem and not the solution. Unapproachable, arrogant, and just not cut out to be a good official.

yawetag Mon Oct 10, 2011 02:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 792541)
If your ego lacks the self confidence as an official that a coach walking on the field with a rule book is so totally offensive to you that your "dumping any coach that brings a rule book to me to question a call", then your part of the problem and not the solution. Unapproachable, arrogant, and just not cut out to be a good official.

Notice I also prefaced it by saying this doesn't apply to the "youngest ages of players." My point is that a coach of a teen-aged team knows better than to bring a rule book on the field. He's getting a warning, then he's getting ejected if he doesn't put the book back in his pocket or on the bench.

If he wants to discuss the way I handled a situation, that's great. Let's discuss it. If he then still feels like I didn't follow the rules, he can protest the game at that point. Bringing a rule book to me does nothing but give the appearance that I don't know what I'm doing.

Would you like it if your boss paraded your department's SOPs through the office before stopping at your desk, then spending 5 minutes telling you (in a voice where everyone can hear) that you're doing your job incorrectly?

I'll ignore the personal attacks.

jicecone Mon Oct 10, 2011 09:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 792429)
Why did you work for an assignor who had never umpired?

The assignor was very experienced.

You would understand were I was coming from, if you ever had to sit on a disciplanary committee that recommended wether any more action should be taken against someone that was ejected from a contest, or if the ejection was sufficient.

You have to determine the degree of the rule infraction that was violated and whether or not the official acted within his/hers authority so provided in the rulebook also. I have seen coaches and players receive additional games, suspended and sometimes removed from the league.

By the same token, it is sometimes hard to make these decisions when you have an official that abuses his/hers authority, or provokes the action for which you would like to discipline someone for. Believe, me the assignor will be one of the first that get a phone call and we all know what flows downhill.

I have been in both positions and have always stood behind my officials but sometimes some officials can make that very difficult. That was my point.

Matt Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 792643)
The assignor was very experienced.

You would understand were I was coming from, if you ever had to sit on a disciplanary committee that recommended wether any more action should be taken against someone that was ejected from a contest, or if the ejection was sufficient.

You have to determine the degree of the rule infraction that was violated and whether or not the official acted within his/hers authority so provided in the rulebook also. I have seen coaches and players receive additional games, suspended and sometimes removed from the league.

By the same token, it is sometimes hard to make these decisions when you have an official that abuses his/hers authority, or provokes the action for which you would like to discipline someone for. Believe, me the assignor will be one of the first that get a phone call and we all know what flows downhill.

I have been in both positions and have always stood behind my officials but sometimes some officials can make that very difficult. That was my point.

I empathize with you, but if that was your point, you failed.

bniu Sun Oct 16, 2011 07:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 792541)

depends on how the coach does it. Normally, they do it in a way to show up the umpire and that gets them dumped.
One coach I know would have just a small rules page on his clipboard and quietly walk over and make it look like he's doing a lineup change or some other administrative stuff, and he does it in a perfectly civil and discreet manner and only does it occasionally, never gets ejected or warned. Even better is he keeps the technique to himself so no one else in the park has a clue that he's questioning a rule :D

jicecone Sun Oct 16, 2011 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bniu (Post 794225)
depends on how the coach does it. Normally, they do it in a way to show up the umpire and that gets them dumped.
One coach I know would have just a small rules page on his clipboard and quietly walk over and make it look like he's doing a lineup change or some other administrative stuff, and he does it in a perfectly civil and discreet manner and only does it occasionally, never gets ejected or warned. Even better is he keeps the technique to himself so no one else in the park has a clue that he's questioning a rule :D

I agree and I would think that the owner of the quote would too however I was reponding to the qoute literaly.