The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

Once in a while, for both baseball and F-Pitch softball, you show up and you are the only umpire - or, as some leagues do, they only use one-umpire for certain age levels.

From behind the plate hwat is the best positioning to make calls at bases - particularly getting an angle for plays at 2nd base?
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

Keep all plays to your right. Never have your back towards a "potential" play.

Angle over distance.

Hustle. No one can argue if you make some questionable calls and hustling. It is when you lull around and make questionable calls.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

Solo games on 60' base path diamond are one thing; but, doing a solo on 90' base path is whole different scene.
Small diamond not so hard to move out from the plate and gain some distance along with the proper angle.
Trying to gain much distance on the large diamond, play after play, and angle and it will probably be a long day for you.
These types of games can wear a young umpire done real quick, so they can have them if they want.
But, if you are going to do the work of two umpire's, make sure you get the benefits of both - even if it means, both hot dogs and the cokes.....
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 06:12pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Boy oh Boy, I miss those days! HAH. Nobody on, take the runner everywhere, but back off well before the cutouts. Use your shortcuts. Pivot and jog, don't sprint. make sure you can stop to see play.With runners on, "rim" the plate area, DO NOT go into the infield(as someone said, don't leave your back to any play)Look as best you can for base touching and OBS/INT and sell the crap out of your close ones. I have seen some guys use this one, however I'm kinda leery bout it......Tell skippys before game that your alone, anything close is an out.....My personal belief is if the d makes it look good, it is, if not.....SAFE. Another tactic is to "read" the players reactions. R1 stealing, you call a strike...rip off mask...kid makes good throw...runner slides..shortstop catches and slaps tag...runner says SH$$, or a facial expression....you got an out.And vice-versa.....hope this helps.....
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
I still do a lot of JV ball, so I use one-man mechanics all the time. I will describe the system I use, which has a basis in something I read from the internet once. Of course, all that has been said already are necessary. The fundamentals of umpiring are even more important in one-man: Hustle, but do not over-commit yourself and get caught. Go for a better angle before a close distance. Sell the close calls hard and deemphasize the easy call. Keep the ball alive as much as possible, but do not allow your back to be turned on a live ball. When a play occurs, you should be stopped and set, not running at it.

Remember the priorities of an umpire:

1. Ball/Strike
2. Fair/Foul
3. Catch/No catch
4. Safe/Out
5. Touch/no touch of a base by a runner

The main mechanic that I use is called the "sliding line" theory. When runners are advancing or returning, draw an imaginary line through the lead runner and parallel to the third base line. As the lead runner advances or returns, that line "slides" around, but it is always parallel to the third base line. You must always be on the "foul side" of that line. Run out as hard and as far as you can into the infield, but always allow yourself to run back before that sliding line reaches you.

EXAMPLES

• No runners, ball batted into infield, likely play at first: Clear the catcher to your left, then loop around and chase the runner to 1B. You should get down more than halfway to see play at first, maybe halfway between the 45' line and the pitchers rubber.

If the throw goes wild and the runner chugs for second, you can run nearly parallel to the third base line to almost get into the "working area" (between mound & 2B). If the runner goes to third, DO NOT LET HIM BEAT YOU there. Anticipate and stay ahead of the sliding line. Here's a big problem: either we make the call from fair territory like we want to, and the sliding line gets ahead of you, or we make it from foul territory with a slightly poorer angle. I say foul ground--any potential play at home is very important. Thus I will stay ahead of the runner and be in foul territory and closer to home to make the call at third.

• No runners, obvious single: Your goal here is to get as close to second as possible. Clear the catcher to the left and run straight at second. Take your eye off the ball just for one second to watch the BR touch first, then immediately find the ball. Be careful to steer clear of a lollygagging pitcher.

• Runner on First, infield grounder. Here we need to take either call, so I usually run out just to the 45' of the mound, more to the infield than with no runners. This is a pretty good angle for both force plays, but you must be ready to hustle back if R1 goes for third.

• Runner on Second, infield grounder. Our priority here is to make sure that we can cover a play at third or a second play at home. Run up the line in FOUL GROUND so that you have good distance for a play at third, or good angle but terrible distance for the play at first. If the throw goes to first, step up to the foul line to set and make the call, then retreat backwards if R2 is charging for home. Beat the runner to home and set up left of first base line extended for a normal slide play (so as to not let the throw hit you if the catcher totally misses) or third base line extended for a sweep tag. After the play, move back out to get in position for any play on the BR.

• Steals/pickoffs: These are the hardest safe/out calls for the one-man umpire to make. Just get the best angle you can in the second or two you have, and don't take any guff with the call. Sometimes you have to assume that the tag touched the runner if it got down in time.

• Lead runner hotbox: This is fun, because it usually gives you some time to get a proper position. Stay on the lead base side of the hot box, but don't be afraid to shuffle with the play for better angles. Watch for obstruction.

• Runner scoring easily: I usually let him go by me, then run out so that I can get better position on the "new" lead runner. This means missing the view of the touch of home--a small price to pay.

• Trailing runner hotbox: We need to stick around with the lead runner, because the play will nearly always come to him at home plate. Of course, everyone will be safe, but watch it anyway.

The advantages to the "sliding line" theory are that:
is that it gives us the opportunity to:
  • see every play in front of you--we never have to turn 180 degrees
  • stay out of the way of fielder's throws
  • stay close to the important (lead) runners
  • never get stuck out deep in the infield when there's a play at home
  • see every base being touched (not that we will, but that the base is in front of us if we do get a chance)

Hope this helps.

P-Sz

[Edited by Patrick Szalapski on Apr 3rd, 2003 at 05:24 PM]
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

First off, you can't cover _everything_. There are points of diminishing return that must be accepted, such as accepting the run at the plate for the sake of a throw to a base for a possible out.

That said, Patrick has laid out excellent guidelines for single umpire coverage. Couldn't have said it better. Excellent Job, Patrick!

Be alert, be aware, be quick, and hustle hustle hustle.

Something else I do while solo: make all the same signals I'd use in a game handled by a team of umpires, such as tapping my wrist for timing plays, or hand to my chest when infield fly rule could come into play. Helps to keep me focused.and mentally sharp.

I would much rather handle a game solo then to have a "volunteer" with "experience" from the stands. I'm big enough to accept that I can't get every call perfect everytime but hate to see obvious knowledge or position failure of a volunteer.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy One Man Mechanic

It hasn't been mentioned in this post but raise your hand if you're a proponent of calling from behind the mound. (My hand is in the air).

It's been well-established in many articles in "Referee" magazine and other manuals that the easiest (for the ump)spot to view all the action on the bases is from behind the pitcher. Balls and Strikes are relatively easy to call and plays at the bases are definately easier. There may be some difficulty with shots down the line, but even those can be called after some experience.

The only argument in favor of being behind the plate is that everyone expects the umpire to be there. From an officiating standpoint however, you can cover more ground from the middle of a square (the field) than from one corner of it.

Let the discussion begin!
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I've heard the same arguement, but totally disagree with it. Why put yourself in a bad position to make 80-90% of your calls? Most calls are either ball or strike, and those can be difficult to make from over 60'6" away.

Go behind the plate and do your best. Most coaches will understand.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member

Twobits:

I certainly appreciate your position. But that was the entire premise of my opinion. By rule, there is no arguing of balls and strikes. Let's all accept that as a "given", ok? Face it; there's really no big difference between the "corners" whether you're behind the plate or behind the mound.

My point dealt with your positioning on the rest of the game. Anyone can call "balls" or "strikes". That's the easy part of our job. Being in position to call the rest of the game is where the fun is.

Jerry

P.S. You're a new kid, aren't you?
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry
game. Anyone can call "balls" or "strikes". That's the easy part of our job. Being in position to call the rest
[/B]
Got any tips on that? I find calling balls and strikes as a whole to be the hardest part of the job, as well as the most important judgments we must learn to make.

And, Twobits, many say it's easier to call balls/strikes from behind the pitcher.

P-Sz
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Quote:
Originally posted by TwoBits
Why put yourself in a bad position to make 80-90% of your calls? Most calls are either ball or strike, and those can be difficult to make from over 60'6" away.
Actually, in my experience, it is infinitely easier to judge balls and strikes from behind the mound. That's because you are able to see the whole picture - the batter, the plate, the catcher, the flight path of the pitch, all in one visual window.

I find it considerably more difficult to judge balls and strikes from behind the plate, requiring significantly more concentration, more physical labor leading to possible fatigue late in the game, more dirt getting projected into the eyes from the catcher's mitt, more sweat and hotness from the equipment.

I totally agree with Jerry when he says that the only reason for an umpire to station himself behind the plate is because participants and spectators expect you to be there. The biggest reason for that is that usually their only experience with an umpire working from behind the mound occurs when an assistant coach umpires a scrimmage game. With no umpiring experience, he does a dismal job. For some reason, they attribute his dismal performance to the fact that he working from behind the mound, rather than understanding it is because he has no training as an umpire.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

The spring 2003 edition of NFHS's Official's Quarterly has a fairly detailed article on working alone. This article is found on page 8, titled "Home Alone; Trial and Tribulations of One-Person Umpiring" and contains diagrams for different situations. This particular piece places the single umpire behind that plate.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Some good comments here

I disagree regarding being able to call pitches from back of the mound. This can work for youth leagues, but after that - you miss too many pitches unless behind the plate.

I started this thread because the only time I've done one-ump games is when the other ump didn't show. However, I'm scheduled to do lots of games where I have to be behind the plate. It's 10-12 year olds, and it would be far easier at the mound.

However, with the many good tips in this thread, I'll get by. My problem is that I like to get every call right, and none us can do that. I like the suggestion of telling the coches that close ones will be out, and watching the runners tag every base just has to be secondary to balls/strikes, fair/foul, out/safe.

The main problem with youth players is that they do the unexpected.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Patrick has made some real good comments in his post above. The only thing that I would add that my association drills into us is "angle over distance". Work to get a good angle first and then close the distance to the play if you can. Best would be to get both but in large diamond single man that happens rarely. Especially if it looks like there may be multiple continuous plays.
Jeff
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 04:13pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, I guess I'm in the minority here!

Jerry: Nope...this will be my 16th season at different levels, but in all honestly, this is only the 6th season that I've gotten serious about it (I'm 31 years old).

Patrick: Actually, I think most people find the easiest place to call balls and strikes is from the bleachers.

Jim: While I definitely respect your opinion, I still stand by mine.

Buckeye: Thanks for the support. I would like to add that the FED umpire's manual states the same as well.