The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Tried my first game without a clicker last evening - well not completely, I had it in my pocket.

Man what a crutch that thing is. Everytime someone asked what the count was, it was an automatic reaction to scramble for my clicker.... then I remembered that I wasn't using it and that I really knew the count without looking at my crutch.

It was fun. I'm not certain that I didn't loose the count somewhere but if I did no one caught it. I have in the past however, lost the count when using my clicker and then debated whether I had logged a pitch or not... creating my own self-confusion.

Over all it worked well and kept me a little more alert in the game. I consciously remembered batters and where pitches came to the catcher and when the batter swung.... just like normal. But there was no indecision about whether I had logged the last pitch or whether I had cleared my clicker from the last batter.

It is really easy to clear your clicker if you aren't using one! Try it you might like it.

Any comments?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Clicker

I'm just now getting used to having it in my left hand!
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robtheump Send a message via Yahoo to robtheump
Question

What in the hell is a clicker?? Is it some sort of new umpiring gadgit??? Did it replace the INDICATOR?
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Tee---

Many things I have picked up from your posts are going into my training this spring. I appreciate all of the information you have given. Rule book stays in the truck...

Thanks again...
Old Fri Mar 21, 2003, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

"Tried my first game without a clicker last evening - well not completely, I had it in my pocket"

RIGHT ON DUDE

Welcome to the club.

Your gonna take heat, but thats part of the job anyway.
I have been NOT using one for about 8-9 yrs and once tried to go back. It was too heavy to carry around and my hand got tired. Had to put back in storage. The only way I will go back is if I get too old to remember all those numbers.
NOT
Old Sat Mar 22, 2003, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

The precise term, coined by BJMoose, is:

"Indiclickercounter" --

Years before the Moose had horns, on McGriff's someone coined "Indiclickatator"

I like that one.
Old Mon Mar 24, 2003, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Better the 2nd time around

I got a little more daring and didn't even carry the thingamowitchit - I kept searching for it.

My previous tactic was to put the indiclickercounter in my pocket between half-innings so at the beginning of each team's at bat I would tap my pocket searching for the dang thing ... it was then that I would remember my new strategy - NO CLICKER.

I'm liking it. A couple more games and my fears of forgetting the count/outs will be gone. PLAY BALL.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2003, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

This whole use/non-use of the indicator is ridiculous. Those who choose not to use it are trying to take something to the nth degree, as if its taking umpiring to the "next level". Its a tool thats there to help. The only time it looks bad, is when the umpire has to put it up in front of his noggin inches from his face to look at it all the time. Just reach up, adjust your mask, and take a quick peek.
So what if your a BU and infielders are asking you for the count. Or how many outs. Thats one thing we are out there for.
And:
--Too heavy to carry around? Yeesh. Yeah, those indicators are SO heavy.
--"..but if I did, no one caught it (losing the count)." So, just because no one caught you losing the count, its ok? Umm , no.
--"..automatic scramble for my clicker...". Scamble? What,is it in your sock? Its in your hand. And you dont always HAVE to look at it. I know we all give the count sometimes like that, without looking at it. Its there to assist us, not take part of our duties away.
--" logged a pitch or not". See, thats where the concentration is. Pass ball, stolen base, hmmm did I log that pitch? Just need to get a rhythem, ALWAYS log it, and just trust yourself that youve developed the habits.
--It just looks bad, if you lose the count, or your not sure, and if you have no indicator, you look bad.
Just use it for what it is. A tool to assist. Notch the indicator so you dont always have to look at it, and dont make it noticable, just an extension of your hand.
Trying to eliminate this is like trying to kill a fly with a sledgehammer. Too much, to take care of something to minor.
Old Sat Mar 29, 2003, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up A Tempest in a Tea-pot!

Right on, Chuckfan1,

Except for the Anal-retentives, who gives a good hoot about your Indicator?

Unless you're fortunate enough to be working under ideal conditions, (a working scoreboard with a competent operator), chances are good that somewhere down the line your partner will lose the count. If he comes to you for help, and you have an indicator, your assistance will be perceived as accurate. If you don't have one, your help will lack credence, or, if you espouse the theory that "It's not my job", you will look like a real candidate for "Partner of the year".

As long as your fellow Umpire is called your "Partner", is it too much to expect him to act like one? Balls and strikes, as well as outs, are best handled as shared responsibilities, not independent domains.

Senior
Old Sun Mar 30, 2003, 11:52am
Official Forum Member

"Those who choose not to use it are trying to take something to the nth degree"

Your the only one taking this to the nth degree. just because you can't chew gum and walk backwards at the same time, does'nt mean others can't do it.

"It just looks bad, if you lose the count, or your not sure, and if you have no indicator, you look bad."

Wearing those ridiculus beanie hats that make you look like a penis head looks bad to, but a lot of guys still wear them.

"Too much, to take care of something to minor."

Then why was your post the longest? It seems that it wasn't that minor to you.

"Except for the Anal-retentives, who gives a good hoot about your Indicator?"

Senior and Chuckfan1. So you must beeeeeee An________???
Old Mon Mar 31, 2003, 08:53am
Get away from me, Steve.

Are we talking about the plate or bases?

I was under the impression that the original poster was a plate umpire. Now others have mentioned their use of an indicator on the bases, or the non-use of an indicator on the bases.

I do not use one on the bases and never have. I even had an assignor a few seasons ago that said that to work his games you MUST use one on the field. I still didn't, cause the one game I tried it I forgot to turn the wheels and was more worried about the thing than umpiring.

If a shortstop asks me the count, I give it to him if I have it. If I don't, I get it from the plate umpire. It's not that big of a deal. The plate umpire is the official record of balls and strikes anyway.

Rich
Old Wed Apr 02, 2003, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Largo20
To use it or not to use it

So what?
The ones who like to handle the heavyweight indicator may do it.
And the ones who like to do some mind work are also welcome.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2003, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

To Click or not to Click

Plate yes.

Field no.

Just looks cleaner.

Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 05:55pm
Official Forum Member

It should be easy today for some company to make a talking indicator. Of course, it would have a readout, too, but you would have the option of having it state (at whatever volume you wanted) the pitch you just clicked and the resulting count every time you clicked it. It could also read out the time since the last click, so you could easily tell whether you registered the pitch on that passed ball or stolen base. If anyone asked the count, you could just press a red button and the device would state it loud and clear. Plus, you could simply hit the "reset" button after each batter—no wasting time and energy clearing each dial separately.

The deluxe version could have a choice of statements to batters. Various keys could produce a computer voice saying, "Looked good to me," "Quit the acting," "Get in there and hit and shut up," etc.

$24.95 seem reasonable?
Old Fri Apr 04, 2003, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Hey thats a GREAT idea "greymule". There is only one added feature that would be necessary. The indicator says "hey stupid you forgot to click me, whats the count now?"

We can call it an "INDACLICKERCOUNTERPLUS" by Sony. Which would raise the price to $32.56.