The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

I work Class 3 and 4 high school games (Two highest classes), and before every varsity game we ask what length of JV game will be played. Usually it is 7 innings or two hours, but some only play 5 innings. We always assume they will play extras if needed. I did one Class 2 game last spring, and some of the smaller schools play 3/3/3 (3 runs or 3 outs for 3 innings), but in this game they wanted to play 5, so we did. We were tied after 4 so I asked both coaches what they wanted to do if we were still tied after the 5th. They wanted to play one extra inning, so we did and went on with it.

U99, you're not there to decide what length of game they play. If they want to play extras, play extras. They don't expect a refund from you if there is a run rule and you get the varsity game done in 5 innings. Finish the game, take your check, and go home.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 08:42am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpire99 View Post
The problem is that if I was temporarily insane, then I must be permanantly insane. Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME. Who cares that there is not a winner. We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings. I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another.

STOP IT RIGHT NOW!! You are not temporarily insane and you are not permanently insane; you are not insane period! What you are is one big A$$HOLE who would be doing the officiating profession a great service by NEVER officiating or umpiring again! I am going to stop at this point because right now I feel like I would love to take a bat (per Al Capone in The Untouchables) to you. This is no way for me to start such a lovely day here in Toledo, Ohio.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

I second that thought.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 09:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm starting to think the person who says this is a troll is spot on. Nobody could be this stupid, really.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The problem is that if I was temporarily insane, then I must be permanantly insane. Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME. Who cares that there is not a winner. We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings. I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another.
If you were working for my assignor with this attitude you'd be fired. 5innings, 7 or 9 if the game is tied you play on.
Old Thu Sep 01, 2011, 11:29pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
This is no way for me to start such a lovely day here in Toledo, Ohio.

MTD, Sr.
Sorry that you have to begin your days there. Nobody should have to suffer like that!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 06:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I'm starting to think the person who says this is a troll is spot on. Nobody could be this stupid, really.
A quick peek at his prior posts confirms such a suspicion.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 08:01am
Official Forum Member

Well, give him credit for being a bit more subtle and clever than most of the trolls around here.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

based in fact...

troll maybe , but we all know these types are based in fact........I had a member of my HS association walk off the field after a 5 inning Varsity mercy killing and refuse to do the 5 inning JV game.......

In our area, it is understood that you will do the varsity game to whatever ending....5-7-9+ innings....then as many JV innings as you can get in....usually 5 Varsity then 5 JV....7-Varsity -3 JV ...

handed over the balls and left.....said noone told him about JV....and he wasnt staying.....(which was BS....).....we are told when there is no JV......
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 09:19am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
Sorry that you have to begin your days there. Nobody should have to suffer like that!

I know, I know. That's what I get for marrying a Toledo native. LOL

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Don't you guys realize that this is a JV GAME.
Well, that just makes you a JV umpire then, doesn't it? Do your job.

Quote:
We were on our way to a smooth game, when the fifth inning seemed to take forever and then they expect us to stay to watch a bunch of non-skilled kids play extra innings. I'm not doing it. And I'm going to get my money one way or another
So what? I mean, they have to put with your umpiring, right? You're getting paid for the days worth of work, no matter the smoothness, or skill level, right? If this is beneath you, don't work youth ball at all. But don't complain about it, then walk off the field.

I know some guys here have called you an arrogant dick (oh, they didn't. My bad), but you have to see their point of view. Most of us have had kids playing at the level, and would appriciate your attitude toward them, or the game.
Old Fri Sep 02, 2011, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark t. Denucci, sr. View Post
stop it right now!! you are not temporarily insane and you are not permanently insane; you are not insane period! What you are is one big a$$hole who would be doing the officiating profession a great service by never officiating or umpiring again! I am going to stop at this point because right now i feel like i would love to take a bat (per al capone in the untouchables) to you. This is no way for me to start such a lovely day here in toledo, ohio.

Mtd, sr.
+1000
Old Sat Sep 03, 2011, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Pay- My advice would be to make sure it is spelled out ahead of time in your contract how many games and the fee. I am fortunate that our contracts specify this exactly and if I were not paid correctly it would be rectified within 24 hours. If you are calling a V/JV doubleheader you should be paid for both games.

Calling the game- Usually not before the V game but definitely before the JV game we speak to the coaches to make sure what they are wanting. A lot of times in JV coaches here want free substitution, bat all 11 kids, etc. It is a non-varsity contest so we work with the coaches to make this a learning experience for the kids. That being said I have seen many JV games end in a tie because that is what the coaches want. We rarely play extras in JV but this is not our decision. If they want to play to a winner, we stay. Personally, as a fan of the game, I make it clear to the coaches I am staying if they want to keep playing even if it was stated that we were only playing 5 or 3 no matter what. Extra innings are exciting, even in a crappy game. The coolest thing is agreeing to play only one more inning. That leads to some fun stuff!
Old Sun Sep 04, 2011, 05:33am
In Time Out

Quote:
Dude, as far as I'm concerned, you just up and quit. I wouldn't pay your happy butt, either. If noboby cares if there isn't a winner, then why the hell keep score? Another thing. If I was your partner, I would have stayed, and worked the game and never worked with your sorry, lazy behind ever again. You're a disgrace to the profession.