The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 14, 2003, 11:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Patrick Szalapski
I'm in Florida now, and on Thursday I saw a Tigers-Twins game here in Fort Myers.

Can anyone tell me about umpire Marvin Hudson? It's a name I don't remember hearing.

Marvin Hudson was U2 on Meriwether's crew in the game. In the first inning, Jacque Jones hit a leadoff double. Hudson begins what looks like the start of his pitch and then feints to second. Jones didn't bite and was near the base; Van Hakken didn't throw.

Every fan started yelling "BALK!" like they always do, and I figured it may have been technically a balk, but that usually isn't called in the games I've seen.

Then Hudson calls the balk. I didn't get a great look at the action from the 27th row up, but I was pleasantly surprised that it was actually called.

Guzman then proceeded to hit a sac fly to center to score Jones. Van Hakken pitched well for awhile after that, but then gave up three unearned runs in the fifth and got the loss.

Incidentally, Meriwether called a balk on Mike Fetters in the fifth inning for coming to a set then separating his hands for an instant without pitching. Fetters has the reputation of being one of the most pumped-up players on the team, and he's fun to watch. Sometimes, though, I guess he can get carried away.

P-Sz
Old Mon Mar 17, 2003, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Smile Mr. Hudson I Presume

After nearly eight years of preparation, Marvin Hudson of Marietta, Washington officially became of Major League Baseball umpire in July of 1999. In '99 he worked more than 25 major league games, plus several in the '98 season before being promoted into the National League. His promotion (one of 20 that year) were separate from the 25 replacements hired by MLB to fill vacancies when some of the umps left their jobs on September 2nd.

Marv's wife's name is Sherry and they still live in Washington. Marvin by the way, was assigned No. 51, his old football number when he played as a lineman for Marietta High School. One of the highlights of his rookie year was calling balls and strikes in a St. Louis vs. Cincinnati game with Mark McGwire at the plate.

Jerry