The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Giants v Phillies last night (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/77061-giants-v-phillies-last-night.html)

johnSandlin Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:14pm

Giants v Phillies last night

Lot of people from both sides will be taking time off and be lighter in the wallets when MLB sorts this all out.

MrUmpire Sat Aug 06, 2011 01:31pm

Molina got five games for bumping an umpire four times and spitting on him twice. Doubtful anyone gets more than one game (after appeal) and a small fine after this.

mbyron Sat Aug 06, 2011 01:32pm

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | PHI@SF: Benches clear after Victorino hit by a pitch - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

bob jenkins Sat Aug 06, 2011 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrUmpire (Post 778432)
Molina got five games for bumping an umpire four times and spitting on him twice. Doubtful anyone gets more than one game (after appeal) and a small fine after this.

Except the pitcher will get more because they don't play every day (so 5 days for a starter, maybe 2 for a reliever).

Larry1953 Mon Aug 08, 2011 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnSandlin (Post 778419)
Lot of people from both sides will be taking time off and be lighter in the wallets when MLB sorts this all out.

The only suspension was Victorino, 3 games.

tjones1 Mon Aug 08, 2011 06:03pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry1953 (Post 779020)
The only suspension was Victorino, 3 games.

...and that will likely be less as he's appealing.

Victorino suspended 3 games, 3 others fined - CBSSports.com

gordon30307 Wed Aug 10, 2011 07:57am

Big deal he got hit in the *** what's the problem? Why is he charging the mound? I'm showing my age but I'd give anything to see him charge the mound when Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale were pitching. Victorino would have got his *** kicked. Oh well different era when the players policed themselves.

Raymond Wed Aug 10, 2011 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307 (Post 779471)
Big deal he got hit in the *** what's the problem? Why is he charging the mound? I'm showing my age but I'd give anything to see him charge the mound when Bob Gibson or Don Drysdale were pitching. Victorino would have got his *** kicked. Oh well different era when the players policed themselves.

Yeah, the good ole days when batters would take their bats out to the mound to "police" the situation. :rolleyes:

gordon30307 Wed Aug 10, 2011 08:49am

My naive child. Let me tell you a story. Back in the day when men played baseball the players policed themselves. You plunck my guy I plunck your guy now we're even and we play on. Rarely if ever did anyone charge the mound unless of course you went head hunting which rarely happened. Pitchers could even pitch inside without warnings being issued or players charging the mound. Batters didn't wear armor at the plate nor did they hang over the plate lest they get "brushed back". Hell Ron Santo spent his whole career on his butt because he got brushed back after Banks hit a homer. I never saw him him charge the mound. He would dust himself off get back in the box and they would play on.

jkumpire Wed Aug 10, 2011 02:03pm

+1 Gordon

David B Fri Aug 12, 2011 07:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by gordon30307 (Post 779492)
My naive child. Let me tell you a story. Back in the day when men played baseball the players policed themselves. You plunck my guy I plunck your guy now we're even and we play on. Rarely if ever did anyone charge the mound unless of course you went head hunting which rarely happened. Pitchers could even pitch inside without warnings being issued or players charging the mound. Batters didn't wear armor at the plate nor did they hang over the plate lest they get "brushed back". Hell Ron Santo spent his whole career on his butt because he got brushed back after Banks hit a homer. I never saw him him charge the mound. He would dust himself off get back in the box and they would play on.

How many times did you see a Mickey Mantle or Hank Aaron charging the mound? That's the difference in todays game.

Thanks
David