The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 24, 2003, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

R2 is on Second. The batter runner hits a grounder to right field. R2 is obstructed by F6 but mistakenly thinks he is out and runs towards the dug out. In the meantime the batter runner scores to home for an inside the park homerun.

How do you handle this situation since the batter runner passed the preceding runner R2. (Do you send R2 to third and the batter-runner back to second since it would be illegal for the batter-runner to score since he passed the preceding runner.)
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

I would say that since the obstruction occurred, I would protect base runner up to 3rd. But he abandoned his efforts to advance, so runner is out by that means.

Out happened before batter actually passed his position somewhere between 2nd and 3rd, so homer counts.

OMFOFWIIW
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
R2 is on Second. The batter runner hits a grounder to right field. R2 is obstructed by F6 but mistakenly thinks he is out and runs towards the dug out. In the meantime the batter runner scores to home for an inside the park homerun.

How do you handle this situation since the batter runner passed the preceding runner R2. (Do you send R2 to third and the batter-runner back to second since it would be illegal for the batter-runner to score since he passed the preceding runner.)
Greg, do you lay at night thinking of these situations, or do you umpire in a sanitarium?
Here's how I'd rule and why.......

It's obviously a Type B obstruction since the batter rounded the bases. Still, I declare the runner out for abandonment. My responsibity is to nullify the act of obstruction and not to protect the runner from his own stupidity. While my initial decision on a ball hit past an outfielder (assumed necessary for an inside the park home run) would be to award this runner home, the post obstructive evidence of him leaving the basepath changed that decision to abandonment. He should know what obstructon is no different than he should know how many outs there are or that he is still required to touch the bases---as in this case. The obstruction did not cause him to abandon the bases. His lack of game knowledge did. The only exception would be if the obstruction was judged to have directly caused his missing of a base. In that event, he would be considered to have touched the base that he was obstructed from touching.

If the abandonment out of R2 is the 3rd out, the BR would not score.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Mars calling earth

Quote:
Originally posted by Gre144
R2 is on Second.
Really, ya think? R2 on second?

What drug was R2 taking that caused him to "think he was out"?

But anyway.... obstructed or not, you still gotta try to run bases. Once his "obvious abandon" he is out, with ball still live, and BR gets to go where ever.

Remember, BEERS after the game, not before.

Coach: Why is he out?
You: Because he abandoned his bases.
Coach: But he thought he was out.
You: Candlesticks make a nice gift.
Coach: Because he ran into the SS
You: Blklwkej lskje rll lwjke
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Now if R2's name,by conicedence only, is "Lee", who gets credited with the out, is his cousin Smith, up to bat next, or not.

R2 is allowed to keep running all the way back to his house because he obviously does not know what the hell he is doing anyway. Oh and he is out. For mindless abandonment.

Mr HR Hitter gets to celebrate, unless R2 was the third out. In that case he gets the priviledge of taking R2 behind the dugout.
Old Tue Feb 25, 2003, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

"Candlesticks make a nice gift."

I laughed........but I don't know why.
Old Wed Feb 26, 2003, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Nice gift for somebody else.

Moose, does your wife collect artsie fartsie crap like mine? I don't know how so much crap could get stuffed into one house.

Got some candle sticks I could send you if you are in need. My wife would never miss them.
Old Fri Feb 28, 2003, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to tucktheump
why?

why in the h@ll would a runner on 2b think he was out on a ground ball hit to right?

type-b obstruction should be called, and then the runner is out for being a dumb-a$$ (or for abandoning his effort, which ever you prefer).

passing is not an issue here, unless the batter-runner passed R2 before he abandoned his effort.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2003, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

R2 is protected by rules as to nullify the obstruction. However, because he left the basepaths, he abandoned all intentions of scoring. The batter-runner can then touch home plate without being called out because the runner was already out by the rules.