The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   WSH - CWS Estabrook reversed... (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/73331-wsh-cws-estabrook-reversed.html)

TussAgee11 Sat Jun 25, 2011 01:14pm

WSH - CWS Estabrook reversed...

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@CWS: Bixler scores go-ahead run on error - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Nelson at home, Estabrook at first.

Warning: ignore the announcers...

ASA/NYSSOBLUE Sat Jun 25, 2011 05:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by TussAgee11 (Post 768560)

Why need a warning? Does anyone here EVER pay attention to the announcers?:D

The question is: how do you suspend an interim manager? Sure looks like he made contact with the 1B umpire...

TussAgee11 Sat Jun 25, 2011 05:28pm

Manager did say in the post game he made contact with the brim on the hat with his hand. Also said he was wrong to do it and didn't mean to.

A bench coach who got a little excited at his one night with the cards...

jkumpire Sat Jun 25, 2011 08:48pm

Imo

Tough one to re4verse, unless the HP umpire had a better look than we did on video. Reality is someone is going to go on that play, offensive mgr if not reversed, and defensive manager when it was reversed.

I have a hard time reversing that call in reality. Make you call and stick with it. But that's not MLB in 2011.

UMP25 Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:55pm

I'm just curious as to why the 1B umpire was so way out of position on this play. I watched the game on the Comcast late night replay and when this play occurred, I was surprised to see U1 so out of position on this, which is why he couldn't and didn't see the tag/no tag properly.

TussAgee11 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 768665)
I'm just curious as to why the 1B umpire was so way out of position on this play. I watched the game on the Comcast late night replay and when this play occurred, I was surprised to see U1 so out of position on this, which is why he couldn't and didn't see the tag/no tag properly.

How was he out of position?

UMP25 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:11am

Haven't you seen the play? When F3 came off the bag and had to reach back to make a swipe tag, Estabrook should have gone toward the line to view the tag attempt straight on (this is akin to a plate umpire being along the 3rd base line extended on a similar tag attempt situation). There is NO way an umpire standing where he was standing is going to be able to see a swipe tag like the one in this play.

Umpmazza Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 768669)
Haven't you seen the play? When F3 came off the bag and had to reach back to make a swipe tag, Estabrook should have gone toward the line to view the tag attempt straight on (this is akin to a plate umpire being along the 3rd base line extended on a similar tag attempt situation). There is NO way an umpire standing where he was standing is going to be able to see a swipe tag like the one in this play.

No U1 should have went right where he did.. and if you look he did go toward the line, you have to get your self a angle on these plays.. Estabrook did a good job of adjusting to the play.

UMP25 Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:20am

Hardly. He was in poor positioning and didn't see the play at all (he was waaayyyy angled out from the play), which is why he ruled it a tag for an out.

The lengths at which people on this forum go to defend guys who err never ceases to amaze me. :rolleyes:

MrUmpire Sun Jun 26, 2011 01:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 768672)
Hardly. He was in poor positioning and didn't see the play at all (he was waaayyyy angled out from the play), which is why he ruled it a tag for an out.

The lengths at which people on this forum go to defend guys who err never ceases to amaze me. :rolleyes:

Are differences of opinion not allowed?

Perhaps then we should all just wait for you to post the Gospel and simply post +1

UMP25 Sun Jun 26, 2011 01:56am

Now THERE'S an idea! :D

mbyron Sun Jun 26, 2011 09:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UMP25 (Post 768672)

I have seen so many umpires moving to an angle significantly less than 90° that I'm thinking there must be a new mechanic coming up from PBUC. They move way off the line toward 2B and look back at F3 and the base.

MikeStrybel Sun Jun 26, 2011 09:54am

All that really matters in the end is that the White Sox lost. Beautiful.

UMP25 Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:51am

Bite me. Sounds like a disgruntled Flubs fan.

UMP25 Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 768709)
I have seen so many umpires moving to an angle significantly less than 90° that I'm thinking there must be a new mechanic coming up from PBUC. They move way off the line toward 2B and look back at F3 and the base.

One of the umpires in our association is current assigned to the minor leagues. I've got a message into him to see what PBUC's recommended mechanic on this is since you brought it up.