The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Failure to Retouch Appeal (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/72270-failure-retouch-appeal.html)

SAump Mon Jun 13, 2011 02:07pm

Failure to Retouch Appeal

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | Must C Curious: Mets score a run on umps' ruling - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

How many appeals were made and does the order matter?

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 13, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 765316)

One.

(rendering the second question unnecessary). I can't even fathom what is indicating to you that there might have been more than 1 appeal. There's only 1 thing to appeal here.

TussAgee11 Mon Jun 13, 2011 02:31pm

In this case doesn't matter as long as R3 was never ruled out. Time play run scores. Good call even though he may never have touched 2nd in the first place, he passed it, and therefore much retouch on his last time by.

treydawgmt Mon Jun 13, 2011 02:49pm

And on the time play, this run score because R3 crosses the plate before R1 touches first for the last time, correct? If R1 had retouched 1st before R3 crosses home, the run would not have counted. Just making sure!

Rich Mon Jun 13, 2011 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by treydawgmt (Post 765333)
And on the time play, this run score because R3 crosses the plate before R1 touches first for the last time, correct? If R1 had retouched 1st before R3 crosses home, the run would not have counted. Just making sure!

No, the time aspect is the run scoring before the appeal at second was executed.

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 13, 2011 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by treydawgmt (Post 765333)

Incorrect.

On a timing play, the out occurs when the out occurs. When or where R1 / R3 were with respect to each other is immaterial. Where R3 was when R1 was appealed and called out is what matters.

Tim C Mon Jun 13, 2011 03:18pm

Although I never want to support SAump in any way at any time I can see where his question comes from. It appears just after the run scores that the catcher looks like he throws the ball to FIRST BASE. Now we have no idea if they tried to appeal pagan at first or not . . . but I can see where the question came from.

I feel like a I need a long shower.

T

MD Longhorn Mon Jun 13, 2011 04:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 765340)
Although I never want to support SAump in any way at any time I can see where his question comes from. It appears just after the run scores that the catcher looks like he throws the ball to FIRST BASE. Now we have no idea if they tried to appeal pagan at first or not . . . but I can see where the question came from.

I feel like a I need a long shower.

T

SO sorry. I know how that feels ... not with SA, but with others.

They threw to first because that's where Pagan was standing - at which point they tagged him, pointing at 2nd. Never saw on camera which umpire actually made the out call - but I'm assuming U2, especially since that's who Pagan went to discuss the call with between innings.

SAump Mon Jun 13, 2011 06:54pm

Neighborhood Play?

I posted the video here showing that Pagan did not pass 2nd base. The runner's actions contribute to the ruling that he failed to retouch 2B before going back to 1B. The Pirates benefit from the ruling.

JR pg 72 EG: R1, one out, hit and run. A fly is batted to left-center field and the ball is caught. R1 touches second while advancing past it, but misses second while returning to first: an appeal of second base is upheld, R1 is out.

mbyron Mon Jun 13, 2011 06:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 765352)
SO sorry. I know how that feels ... not with SA, but with others.

They threw to first because that's where Pagan was standing - at which point they tagged him, pointing at 2nd. Never saw on camera which umpire actually made the out call - but I'm assuming U2, especially since that's who Pagan went to discuss the call with between innings.

The box score has the out as 8-2-3-6, so F3 threw the ball to F6 at 2B for U2 to rule on the appeal.

SAump Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:14pm

Intervening Play?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 765316)

This situation happened 2 years ago in a MLB game. The refs made a phone call to NY. The run was added back an inning or 2 later.

The run should never never come off the board, without approval from NY's instant replay and local MLB supervisors.

This has to stop.

TussAgee11 Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAump (Post 765404)
This situation happened 2 years ago in a MLB game. The refs made a phone call to NY. The run was added back an inning or 2 later.

The run should never never come off the board, without approval from NY's instant replay and local MLB supervisors.

This has to stop.

Huh?!?

yawetag Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:11am

Quote:

refs

Umpires.

MD Longhorn Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:38am

Quote:

This has to stop.

What in the world are you talking about? I now find myself in Tim's camp. File SAump under Fanboy.

bob jenkins Tue Jun 14, 2011 07:39am

Quote:

This situation happened 2 years ago in a MLB game.

Get
Over
It