The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 20, 2003, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Has anyone ever tried the Spot-bilt "Stud" base shoes (#OS95 in the current Honigs catalog)??? I was thinking about purchasing a pair, and I wanted to get some opinions before purchasing the shoes.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
Has anyone ever tried the Spot-bilt "Stud" base shoes (#OS95 in the current Honigs catalog)??? I was thinking about purchasing a pair, and I wanted to get some opinions before purchasing the shoes.
I tried the then current version about 7 years ago. Hated them.

But, more than just about any piece of equipment, shoes are personal preference.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by manhong
I tried the then current version about 7 years ago. Hated them.

But, more than just about any piece of equipment, shoes are personal preference.
Bob, was it just the fit and feel, or did your dislike have more to do with the "studs", etc?

I've been looking at the Reebok Quagmires which also have the studded soles.
I had a pair of studded soles in the past that gave me excellent traction, but they were prone to picking up and carrying lots of unnecessary crud that other shoes wouldn't hold. They were more difficult to get the bottoms clean. Additionally, the studs seemed a softer rubber that wore down quickly. Did the studs on your Spot-Bilts seem to wear out quickly?

Can you tell us more about WHY you didn't like the shoes........
Anyone got any feedback on the Quagmires ????

Freix

Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

I purchased a pair many years ago (10?) and still have them and still use them occasionally. I didn't particularly like them because they don't have much lateral support or arch support - the soles are flimsy.

Looking at pictures of currently offered models, I don't see any difference in design now than 10? years ago.

They are like a pair of flat shoes with big studs on the bottom... some people like that. I prefer more support.
Old Tue Jan 21, 2003, 09:09pm
Official Forum Member

I've use a pair of Spotbuilts for the past two years (approximatley 210 games) on the bases. Like DTB, I was never really happy with the arch support, and now the studs on the heel are gone. They never held a shine very well either.

I've got a pair of wide Reabox WQTX shoes to try this year. No studs, so traction might not be as well on wet grass. Sears had 'em on sell last fall for $39, so they will get a try.

Roger Greene
Old Thu Jan 30, 2003, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up OS95

I wear the OS95 on the bases and like them. Have worn them for three or four years now. I also wear the OS95 for football on a field that isn't wet. I get two years wear out of a pair. The are made by Saucony and I find the arch support and comfort level to be good.