The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

It could be that Mark's threshold is lower than others and the AD is genuinely curious why Mark would eject for that.

Personally, I don't get excited about language. I had a kid thrown out at the plate yesterday on a wild pitch, and after I punched him out, he got up and I heard a word starting with "f" come from his lips. I simply turned to him and said, "Hey, watch your language, OK?" with a smile on my face. He said, "Sorry, blue," and that was the end of it.

I save my ejections for important things. Using a word in a situation where he's not directing it at an opponent or an official isn't one of them.
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Personally, I don't get excited about language. I had a kid thrown out at the plate yesterday on a wild pitch, and after I punched him out, he got up and I heard a word starting with "f" come from his lips. I simply turned to him and said, "Hey, watch your language, OK?" with a smile on my face. He said, "Sorry, blue," and that was the end of it.

I save my ejections for important things. Using a word in a situation where he's not directing it at an opponent or an official isn't one of them.
I agree. If I had a nickel for every time a player used an expletive when mad at himself, I'd have a ****load of nickels.
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeStrybel View Post
Mr. Senger, why be so antagonistic? The AD is entitled to ask the question and for him, it is relevant.
I believe Mr Senger commented the way he did because what you're asking is, in fact, no more germaine to the issue than when the AD asked. If I were a conspiracy theorist, I could offer the opinion that it's as if you're the AD or a minion, trying to draw him out. But I'm not, so I won't.

Quote:
Maybe he wanted to light a fire under Mark for past issues and this was his chance. Either way, I don't see a reason to be antagonistic toward the people responsible for paying us.
I'd argue it's the bookkeeper that's responsible, with the principal approving, since the school pays the money, not the AD. And as to your "Maybe" - you think? That's the only reason I come up with for why the AD bothered to ask that detail. There may be some pockets of exceeding civility where there's another scenario, but in the real world, the AD's not looking to do anything but save his guy.

Quote:
I see no harm in answering it honestly.
Me either, but where you seem to differ in opinion with many here is what constitutes an honest answer. "Mr X, that's not relevant to the issue at hand. Your player was ejected, and you have been notified. Please see my report for further details. Thank you." It's an honest answer, and since it sounds better than "It's none of your d--- business," it's fairly professional as well.
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 01:16pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp View Post
I'd argue it's the bookkeeper that's responsible, with the principal approving, since the school pays the money, not the AD. And as to your "Maybe" - you think? That's the only reason I come up with for why the AD bothered to ask that detail.
My guess: he's looking to score a rhetorical point with Mark. A condescending way of saying, "You shouldn't have ejected for such a petty reason." Socratic coaching; I've seen it on the basketball court.
Old Fri May 20, 2011, 01:22pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Maybe we are lucky around here, most of the coaches and ADs I encounter are supportive of good baseball and don't tolerate nonsense that leads to ejections. Some enforce penalties beyond what is required by the IHSA and a couple have been fired for behavior unbecoming. Sometimes the history is relevant. I am confident enough in my abilities to defend it.
Mark, but if you are from Illinois and this situation took place here, you would never be asked or required to answer any question of anyone at a school when you file a Special Report with the IHSA. Those Special Reports are not only a legal document; they are a personal interaction so that the IHSA can take appropriate action on the incident that is filed on them. Every single time one of those Special Reports are filed, the school or individual has to respond to the IHSA their side of the story and explain how those things are not going to happen again. That is why the IHSA does not go back to an official that ejected someone and tell them what the result was of the Special Report or the suspension. I have filed many of these reports over the years and the only way I have ever found out what the suspension was is when the media might have mentioned it in the paper or I saw it on a show. And I have never had to answer any further questions from the IHSA about any incident or ejection in my 15 years of officiating.

Peace
Old Sat May 21, 2011, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mr. Senger, why be so antagonistic?
I was being sarcastic. It's the same answer he gave the AD when he called.
Old Sat May 21, 2011, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Andrew,
There is a fine line between what you perceive as sarcasm and the reality of antagonism. Some of you seem to think that the AD has no right to ask anything of the official. Apparently, their association code allows him/her to do so. Some of you think that the AD is trying to intimidate or bait the official. Having been in enough heated discussions on baseball fields in my life, the ADs question is hardly controversial. "Mr. AD, your player was ejected because he used profanity in a manner that wasn't considered minor in nature. You can find that violation of the rules and penalty in 3-3-1 of our rule book." End of story.

I have read your posts and know you to be a knowledgeable umpire. How many times have you had a coach confront you on a FPSR? Could you defend it? How many times have you had a coach claim that the runner should be out because the ball beat him by four steps? I'm sure you handled that well. Being baited is something many umpires learn to confront without causing more drama. Mark handled it as he saw fit. Not knowing Mark or the AD, I still believe that he could have answered the question as above and soothed the wound. The AD would have no retort.

Enjoy your weekend. Looks like rain is on the way here.
Old Sat May 21, 2011, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is a fine line between what you perceive as sarcasm and the reality of antagonism.
How about this: I wasn't directly answering your question. I was being funny, in that I was "answering" for Mark by giving the same answer he gave the coach. The "answer" wasn't meant to be taken as what I would say, what Mark would say, or what any umpire would say.

It was a failed attempt at humor.

Quote:
I have read your posts and know you to be a knowledgeable umpire.
It's good to know I'm fooling one person. My experience is nothing close to most who frequent here, but I pride myself in knowing the craft and doing it to the best of my ability. Due to other obligations, I don't get nearly the number of games I'd like, but I don't dwell on that fact -- I just do the games I can get.

Quote:
How many times have you had a coach confront you on a FPSR? Could you defend it?
Zero. I could definitely defend it if needed.

Quote:
How many times have you had a coach claim that the runner should be out because the ball beat him by four steps? I'm sure you handled that well.
Twice I can think of quickly. Both times R1 was stealing 2B; the throw from F2 was off the bag and toward 1B side, causing F4 or F6 to come down the line and attempt a tag; both times the runner got around it.

In the first (last year), the coach didn't say anything. In the second (this year, between two Varsity divisional rivals), the coach came out and asked what I had. He specifically said, "The ball beat the runner, Andrew." I explained what he had, he calmly said, "I think you missed it, Andrew." I replied that the tag missed the runner. He walked away without any other discussion.
Old Mon May 21, 2012, 10:26am
Administrator

I didn't go looking for this old thread, but since I found it:

I was doing a search over the weekend end I discovered this old thread; I had forgotten about it even though I am the one that started it, but since Mark, Jr., had player ejection in a JV baseball game about two weeks ago, I decided to post an update so to speak to this thread.

Setting the stage:

The Saturday (April 07th, to be exact) before Easter, Mark was the PU for a JV game between Team A (Home) and Team B (Visitor). During the game Mark ejected a player from Team B for Malicious Contact. That evening he completed the OhioHSAA Game Report and emailed it to the OhioHSAA and the Principal of Team B. In his email to the Principal, he said that since Team B would not be back in school until Monday, April 16th, he would call him then per OhioHSAA Rules and Regulations. Easter night Mark received an email from Team B's Principal telling him that he need not call because he had read the Game Report and it told him all he needed to know concerning the event. Don't we wish all school administrators were like that.

Flash forward to Tuesday, May 10th:

Our assigner in his infinate wisdom assigned us to different JV baseball games as sites only three miles apart. Mark's game was between Team A (Home), yes, that Team A in the April 07th game, and Team C (Visitor). Team A losing by one run with one out and a runner on 1B in the bottom of the 7th inning when a Pinch Hitter comes to the Plate. First pitch is a called strike. PH starts to complain so much that before another pitch is thrown, Team A's HC has to find a PH for his PH, .

Mark files his Game Report that night. The next morning Mark will have to call the Team A Principal to report the ejection. Mark has never had to make such a phone call because in five years of officiating H.S. basketball and umpiring H.S. baseball, these are his first two ejections. Like the great father that I am, I sit him down and advise him as to how to conduct his conversation with the Principal. I told him to keep it simple, short, to the point, and do not let the Principal try to change the subject.

I was not present for the telephone conversation, but Mark told me that he did his best to follow my advice but the Principal threw him a change-up and he took the bait. He asked Mark how many players he had ejected this year, and Mark told him two. Mark and I talked about it later and he realized that he should have told the Principal that the question was not germaine to the situation, and if he was going to answer it he should have brought up the April 07th game.

Mark's inexperience in these situations is something that we have all experienced as young officials. The only reason for asking such a quesiton was to attempt to label Mark as an official who is out of control and ejects players for no good reason. Mark really has nothing to worry about because he as established himself as a good young umpire, but there are Rats out there and sometimes they look like cute little bunny rabbits.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio