The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

At officiating.com Jim Porter writes: "The concept of maximum participation strikes at the very heart of the goals of Little League Baseball. Once a game begins, it belongs to the kids. That philosophy is just one of the things that sets Little League apart from any other organized youth sports program in the world."

This would be news to PONY, Cal Ripken and many other leagues. Is there a fact checker at officiating.com or can writers make up their material as they go along? I expect better from a subscription based site.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 12:42am
Official Forum Member

PONY does not have mandatory play in their rules so you can leave them out of your rebuttal.

Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
No they dont but most leagues have their own rules reguarding mandatory play
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 03:41pm
Michael Taylor

The reason that Jim is setting LL apart from other youth organizations is LL has many rules that are very kid oriented that are not in other organizations. The manger can't cross the foul line, coach can't warm up pitchers, headfirst slide prohibition, MPR, sprcial pinch runner and probably a few I missed. These are all intended to make maximum playing time for the kids while mininizing the adults. Does that make LL better than Pony, Dixie, or Cal Ripkin; not necessarily but it does make it different.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
oh and dont forget the rule that says that only one basecoach can be an adult
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Rich sez: "PONY does not have mandatory play in their rules so you can leave them out of your rebuttal."

Don't know what rule book you're using. In my PONY rule book of 2002 the number of innings EVERY player is required to play is clearly listed.

Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by SteveD

Don't know what rule book you're using. In my PONY rule book of 2002 the number of INNINGS EVERY player is required to play is clearly listed.

And who keeps track of that stat? It's tough enough in a local organization keeping track of MPR let alone the number of innings one plays.

Unless PONY has a sophisticated system of keeping track of innings played, who enforces this rule? and what is the penalty if violated?

At least in LL as an umpire it's rather easy to make certain LJ gets his MPR in by simply looking at the line-up card and making sure a particular child gets the minimum in. How is an official in PONY going to enforce an innings rule?

I'm not on the LL bandwagon here as IMO LL's main goal is the the LLWS in August, but they are one if not the ONLY Youth organization that has Mandatory play specifically spelled out in their rules.

Also, from an officials standpoint LL has Regional schools to attend at a rather inexpensive price. I don't know if PONY or the "other" youth leagues have something similar. They might require an official to pass some sort of test, but I don't think they have the Formal training that LL has.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Steve D: I'm using the rules posted on line at the PONY site. The link is titled "2002 Rules and Regulations"

The only playing rule is a RECOMMENDATION that Pinto and Mustang players play two innings per game.

Are you using a local rule?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Maximum Participation as a program-based philosophy is not the same thing as just having Mandatory Play. In Little League, adults are not allowed to warm-up the catcher - not in the bullpen, not on the field. That's different from any other youth league in the world. In Little League, one base coach is required to be a child. Again, that is different. Adult coaches are not allowed to cross the foul line when meeting with their players. No other league does that. Little League's mandatory play rule requires more playing time than any other youth league. There are many examples of the Maximum Participation philosophy that sets Little League apart. My facts are in order.

Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

JP is dead on with the way the rules are written by LL for MPR. My area is all PONY and it is all local supplemental rules for MPR. These are enforcedby opposing coaches via a protest to the official unbiased scorekeeper and action taken by the BOD. Quite similar to the pitching afidavits used by PONY in the tourneys. Most all youth leagues incorporate a MPR in regular league play, but come all-star stuff.........