Thread: Article
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by SteveD

Don't know what rule book you're using. In my PONY rule book of 2002 the number of INNINGS EVERY player is required to play is clearly listed.

And who keeps track of that stat? It's tough enough in a local organization keeping track of MPR let alone the number of innings one plays.

Unless PONY has a sophisticated system of keeping track of innings played, who enforces this rule? and what is the penalty if violated?

At least in LL as an umpire it's rather easy to make certain LJ gets his MPR in by simply looking at the line-up card and making sure a particular child gets the minimum in. How is an official in PONY going to enforce an innings rule?

I'm not on the LL bandwagon here as IMO LL's main goal is the the LLWS in August, but they are one if not the ONLY Youth organization that has Mandatory play specifically spelled out in their rules.

Also, from an officials standpoint LL has Regional schools to attend at a rather inexpensive price. I don't know if PONY or the "other" youth leagues have something similar. They might require an official to pass some sort of test, but I don't think they have the Formal training that LL has.

Pete Booth