The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Question

I am a new umpire looking to purchase a mask. I was wondering if I should purchase a regular style mask or a hockey style mask??? Are there advantages or disadvantages of one type of mask over the other??? Also, are there any suggestions as to the model (West Vest, Wilson, etc.) that I should consider purchasing??? From my internet research, I know that hockey style masks are heavier than traditional masks. Is the extra weight worth the advantages of the hockey style masks over the traditional style mask??? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Personal preference, but I think the hockey style look goofy.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 09:05pm
Veteran College Umpire

I have used the +POS ultralight composite mask since it came out several years ago, and can only say great things about it (despite a recall and horror stories of broken noses by a few umpires). I've been drilled numerous times (D1 and Independant Minor Leagues) and have had no problems - with the mask - some might say I'm a little goofy, but that probably is NOT the fault of the mask...
Old Thu Dec 26, 2002, 09:18pm
Michael Taylor

I would have to agree with JJ. I have the same mask and love it. The visability isn't as good as others but you can't beat the weight. Several guys in my group bought West vest masks last year and they are better to see through. Not bad in the weight dept but one of them is already dented. For the money it should last more than a year. A couple of the other guys bought Honig's. I've used it and liked it but it has a very different feel to it than my SUL. The game I used it on was a 9 inning men's game that turned into a 14 inning, four hr marathon. A bad night to try a new mask. I have tried on a hockey style and didn't think it was all that heavy. I was also pleasantly surprised that my hat fit underneath it.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be very interested in the comments of anyone who has ever tried the All-Star hockey-style kevlar/titanium mask that some ML umps use. It costs almost $400, but if it's really great, I'd consider it. Supposedly, it gives a much greater range of vision.

I use a POS+ SUL now and like it very much. Besides the advantage of light weight, it must compress or something on direct hits, as you simply don't get jolted with it the way you do with a regular mask. POS+ used to sell it for $88 over the winter, but I don't see it on their current sale.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I have a allstar hockey style mask NOT the kevlar/titanium version and I love it, sure it's a little heavier but it offers a lot more protection than convetional mask and has great vision. I would definetly recomend this mask.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 09:56pm
Official Forum Member

I have the $400 mask. last year I got hit by a backswing with it. Had I had anything else I would have been in big trouble. With this, I was able to stay in the game and did not even suffer a headache.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

I have the Wilson hockey style by Itech and love it! The vision is amazing and with the weight distributed evenly, it is lighter on your head. If you can pull the trigger and take a little ribbing at first, you will be very happy.