The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

You are scheduled for the Front end of a Double Dip. There is another crew assigned the second game.

During the first game, we have one of those games , many close calls and we are human and we KNOW we Kicked one

The game is Over and all you want to do is get the hell out of there, however, you notice only one umpire show up for the second game.

Your partner can't stay because he /she has a prior committment.

Normally, if I'm only assigned one game, I wait around a bit to make sure that BOTH umpires arrive at the game. I don't want to leave my assignor in a bind should one or both not show.

We are also not supposed to hang around after the game either.

So what do you do after a BAD First Game.

1. Just go home. After all it's really not our assignment to begin with or

2. Suck it up and join the party again

This is one area which IMO the "other " Officials (Basketball / Football) have the advantage. They can go to a Locker Room. In baseball we have to look for some "empty space" to get away.

Your thoughts

Pete Booth
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to SamNVa Send a message via AIM to SamNVa Send a message via Yahoo to SamNVa
Pete,

I can say, without equivocation that I would stay and work the next game having done so on more than one occasion. I always try to put any "kicked" calls behind me and approach each game with a new attitude.

SamC
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

If I feel like umpiring another game, and, if I like working with the "new" partner, I'll stay. Obviously, if I have never worked with him that can't be a factor. I can go to my car for a breather in between, have a pregame, etc.

If I don't feel like working more, for any reasons, I would just tell the new guy I can't stay. I've done many a game alone in my day. It's true that in basketball you can find a locker room to get away. But working alone in basketball is a lot more difficult than doing a baseball game alone.

For the record: I always prefer working a 2 or 3 man crew.
I'd rather have a partner than get the fee and a half.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

IMO, the officiating profession is no different than any other; at least in that respect. When other professionals have a "bad day", they also ask themselves is it worth it to go on. You don't think that a ballplayer who struck out (4) times in a row, booted (3) easy grounders or threw away (4) easy tosses in the 1st game of a DH is gonna go home and cry instead of "working" the 2nd game, do you?

The experienced umpires, such as yourself, KNOW that you can't just leave your assignor hanging. Gotta leave that 1st game at the fenceline and be ready to be "up" for the nex game.

From personal experience in just such a scenario as you described, Pete, every single team "forgets" about the 1st game and focuses on the game at hand. They realize they'll have all new calls for which they can disagree and yell at you for!

Jerry
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I would typically stay and do the second. What better opportunity than to get back on that horse and have a great game. At least you can end the day 1-1 rather 0-1. Put one in the win column.

Unless of course the managers from game 1 are best buds with the next guys and are having a pre-game of there own about how bad your first game was. If they start wispering and looking over at you with nods....I am suddenly late for a doctor's appointment.

Game two should be a clean slate.

Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 01:23am
Official Forum Member

JERRY....DITTO. What you said headed the nail on the hammer!!

No more discussion on this topic. Jerry has got it as it should be. Everyone take notice of how it should be.