The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, now what

Last Thursday night I went to the meeting for the local baseball association. I was unavoidably late but attended anyway since it was the first meeting of the season. I found out later that they just talked about equipment orders and ate.

After the meeting was finished I went to the assignor to give him my name and find out what information I might have missed and let him know I was interested. His first question was, "What level do you want to umpire?" I thought this was an odd question and said, "It's my first year in the association. I don't expect to get varsity!" He then explained that one town near me has just a varsity team, the nearest town has jv and varsity but the next town over has freshman through varsity.

Absolutely no questions about my experience or training! And I happen to know that JV games have been assigned to people of little or no experience or training.

One of the officials there officiates basketball with me. I talked to him about it when I left. He said that it was an old boys club.

I went there because I want to work games with people who have had some training. I don't know now.

Rita