The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, now what

Last Thursday night I went to the meeting for the local baseball association. I was unavoidably late but attended anyway since it was the first meeting of the season. I found out later that they just talked about equipment orders and ate.

After the meeting was finished I went to the assignor to give him my name and find out what information I might have missed and let him know I was interested. His first question was, "What level do you want to umpire?" I thought this was an odd question and said, "It's my first year in the association. I don't expect to get varsity!" He then explained that one town near me has just a varsity team, the nearest town has jv and varsity but the next town over has freshman through varsity.

Absolutely no questions about my experience or training! And I happen to know that JV games have been assigned to people of little or no experience or training.

One of the officials there officiates basketball with me. I talked to him about it when I left. He said that it was an old boys club.

I went there because I want to work games with people who have had some training. I don't know now.

Rita
Old Sat Feb 12, 2011, 10:26pm
Stop staring at me swan.

That sounds like "umpire association america." No offense to those that don't fit that bill. But in many of your local associations, get in there, do a good job, accept whatever assignments you get and word will travel fast about you. Good luck.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C View Post
After the meeting was finished I went to the assignor to give him my name and find out what information I might have missed and let him know I was interested. His first question was, "What level do you want to umpire?" I thought this was an odd question and said, "It's my first year in the association. I don't expect to get varsity!" He then explained that one town near me has just a varsity team, the nearest town has jv and varsity but the next town over has freshman through varsity.

Absolutely no questions about my experience or training! And I happen to know that JV games have been assigned to people of little or no experience or training.
You answered his question when you said "It's my first year in the association. I don't expect to get varsity." He heard that and thought "green". If you had higher credentials, you should answer differently. This will lead to more questions. First year in assoc means a little bit to him, but not much, what you have done and are capable of does, and of course being available to work means a lot. Sign up, pay the fees, do the clinics and you will get some games, meet some people, make mistakes, and learn. Whether you get paired up with an experienced umpire depends on the assigner, and his practices.
Old Sun Feb 13, 2011, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Rita, I have moved around a bit and have belonged to maybe 7 different organizations. I found it best to get recomendations from them, even when I was a past organization president. Yes I, did expect to do Varsity when I applied, after years experience but, I also was prepared to here "your going to have to start at the bottom again." Most all associations will team you up with an experienced official and believe me word gets around real fast.

If its the only local association, good luck.
Old Tue Feb 15, 2011, 07:54pm
Official Forum Member

When I work with someone new, if they are good, very good, I will drop my assigner a note and say so. I don't do it often so I think he takes note when I do. So do the best with whatever game you are working and if you are good word will get around.

Last time this happened was for a first year umpire who went to 5 week school the next year and got a minor league assignment, worked a couple years until an injury dropped him out and now he is back working college and hs games.