The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Foul Tip (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/61609-foul-tip.html)

sandrosina Wed Feb 02, 2011 06:27am

Foul Tip

Es: Two Strikes, no one on base. The pitch bounces in front of the plate and the batter swing and tips the ball, wich goes directly into the catcher’s glove:

1. This is a foul tip: the batter is out since the foul tip was caught
2. The ball is live and it is no catch: the batter has became a batter-runner
3. It is a foul ball

A manual say "The correct answer is b. This one will make you think a little bit, won’t it? The bounced pitch means that it cannot, by rule, be caught, even though a “foul tip” has occurred. The fact that the ball went directly from the bat to the catcher’s glove means that the ball is live, however. The batter has struck out and became a batter-runner and must be tagged or thrown out at first. If the catcher had dropped the ball it would have benn a foul ball."

Is correct?
Thanks

BretMan Wed Feb 02, 2011 07:19am

Which manual says the correct answer is "B"? (By the way...is this a trick question? I don't see any letter "B" among those answers! :) ).

This one's been knocked around and debated for years. At one point, one of the pro schools was teaching that this was a foul tip, the other that it was not.

To the best of my recollection, a few years ago MLB issued an interpretation that this is indeed a foul tip. The logic was that once the ball is contacted by the bat, you treat everything from that point forward just exactly the same as any other batted ball.

No reference materials available right now...I'm sure that someone will be able to fill in my sketchy account!

mbyron Wed Feb 02, 2011 08:14am

"The only thing a bounced pitch cannot be is a called strike."

If he'd hit it fair would you be calling it a foul ball? If not, why would it be foul in the actual play?

sandrosina Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:06am

A manual say "The correct answer is 2.................

bob jenkins Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandrosina (Post 725121)
A manual say "The correct answer is 2.................

Which manual is that? Because, by most interpretations here, that manual is incorrect.

(One of the versions on Jaksa/Roder had the interp as you say; they have now changed to agree with the others)

Forest Ump Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06am

Funny. I just posted regarding this on ABUA and now it's over here. Here's the rule from the OBR book.

Rule 2.00 (comment)..........If the pitch touches the ground and bounces through the strike zone it is a ball. The ball cannot be legally caught for the purpose of Rule 6.05(c )and 6.09(b). If the batter hits such a pitch, the ensuing action shall be the same as if he hit the ball in flight.

dash_riprock Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:24am

It's an uncaught foul tip!

BTW, I believe the rule references are 6.05(c) and 6.09(b)

BretMan Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 725150)

Now that is an oxymoron!

Forest Ump Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 725150)

BTW, I believe the rule references are 6.05(c) and 6.09(b)

Yep. Corrected

BretMan Wed Feb 02, 2011 01:23pm

Nope. Not corrected. Bamboozled! :)

6.05(c) and 6.09(b) pertain to catching pitches that never touched the bat. Once the bat contacts the pitch, it's no longer "a pitch". It is now "a batted ball". As such, all of the rules pertaining to batted balls now apply.

If this bounced pitch goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's hands and is caught, it becomes a foul tip. Strike to the batter, ball remains live and in play. If it's strike three, the batter is out and not entitled to try for first base.

MrUmpire Wed Feb 02, 2011 02:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandrosina (Post 725050)

A manual say "The correct answer is b."

Your manual is incorrect. Get your money back.

dash_riprock Wed Feb 02, 2011 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BretMan (Post 725209)
Nope. Not corrected. Bamboozled! :)

6.05(c) and 6.09(b) pertain to catching pitches that never touched the bat. Once the bat contacts the pitch, it's no longer "a pitch". It is now "a batted ball". As such, all of the rules pertaining to batted balls now apply.

If this bounced pitch goes sharply and directly from the bat to the catcher's hands and is caught, it becomes a foul tip. Strike to the batter, ball remains live and in play. If it's strike three, the batter is out and not entitled to try for first base.

He was just correcting the rules cited by 2.00 (Ball) Comment.

sandrosina Wed Feb 02, 2011 07:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 725123)
Which manual is that? Because, by most interpretations here, that manual is incorrect.

(One of the versions on Jaksa/Roder had the interp as you say; they have now changed to agree with the others)

It's a question in the Jaska/Roder e-book from 2010 manual

johnnyg08 Wed Feb 02, 2011 07:58pm

I think the E-book from J/R is very old. I don't think he's updated the E-book in years. Or did he?

bob jenkins Wed Feb 02, 2011 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandrosina (Post 725417)
It's a question in the Jaska/Roder e-book from 2010 manual

According to what I've read on other web-sites, he's changed his mind on this. You should ignore this question.