The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Question came up during NCAA fall-ball game. Runner stealing home. Pitcher speeds up delivery, but does he have to keep same, identical motion? Rule reads from windup and set once his natural movement begins....."commits the pitcher to pitch without interruption or alteration." Same thing with set position, where we do see the "slide step" more in use.

Tks,

CVA
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Van
Question came up during NCAA fall-ball game. Runner stealing home. Pitcher speeds up delivery, but does he have to keep same, identical motion? Rule reads from windup and set once his natural movement begins....."commits the pitcher to pitch without interruption or alteration." Same thing with set position, where we do see the "slide step" more in use.

Tks,

CVA
Keep reading the rule book until you get to 9-3(d) AR. That will answer your question.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Tks Bob. Nothing worse than a bunch of old umps (here) nitpicking stuff. Yep, familiar with 9-3D. Says "a normal pitching sequence...etc" but not HIS normal sequence. I am saying he does not have to keep his regular windup motion as long as it does not violate pitching rules. I think you are saying the same thing, but not certain.
Tks,
CVA
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 05:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Van
Tks Bob. Nothing worse than a bunch of old umps (here) nitpicking stuff. Yep, familiar with 9-3D. Says "a normal pitching sequence...etc" but not HIS normal sequence. I am saying he does not have to keep his regular windup motion as long as it does not violate pitching rules. I think you are saying the same thing, but not certain.
Tks,
CVA
You got it. Show the rule to the old umps. It's the only way we learn.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Tks. Will do. Have a great day.