The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 02:52am
Official Forum Member

I heard that Mark Hirschbeck will be umpiring in the Giants-Braves games when they play at Pac Bell Park. As a Giants fan, I hope that isn't the case. I believe Hirschbeck is in too much physical pain to do a good job, and there are still hard feelings from 2 weeks ago when he ejected Santiago, Baker, and Righetti. Many fans will question whether Hirschbeck will make unbiased calls. Can the Giants request a different umpire be assigned to the games?
Karl
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

You picked the wrong Forum for your fan sympathay. If the League for one second thought that Mr. Hirschbeck would have an effect on these games, Im sure he would NOT be assigned.

Very, very, few games are won on the decisions of the officials. If the Giants want to win, they better take care of that on their own. If you believe otherwise, I have some real good land to sell in Florida.

Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't expect to find any sympathy here. But I figured people here would know if it's possible for Clubs to request a different umpire to be assigned to a game. I don't think Hirschbeck is anti-Giants, but it appears he enjoys provoking, arguing with, and ejecting people. On Sept 3 he ejected the Rangers starting pitcher after 2 pitches. Maybe it's an outlet for the pain he's experiencing. I believe an mri showed he has torn muscle and bone chips in his hip. In the SF-SD game he had to lean on the catcher a lot, and the game had to be paused from time to time for him. Why he's umpiring in this condition is beyond me. All I can say is please let there not be any ejections or suspensions this series.
Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmmm,

It would be an exceptional situation where a professional sports officals could get "scratched" by a TEAM.

The famous Ron Luciano was taken off of Baltimore games because the LEAGUE felt he and Earl Weaver could not co-exist on a field during regular season games. The team/umpire had no say.

It is my "opinion" that MLB umpires do, in fact, carry grudges against individual players. I do not believe that MLB umpires let personal feelings impact performance however.

Mark has indeed had a difficult time physically the last month or so but it will not impact where MLB sends him for games.

It is my "opinion" karlk that you are looking at this issue as a fan and with your heart . . . there is nothing wrong with that, except it colors the true view of things.

After watching a replay of the SF/SD game I do believe that you have exaggerated Mark's injury considerably.

Old Mon Sep 30, 2002, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Angry Rangers Game

Karl,

If you watched the Rangers game where Myette was ejected after two pitches, you would know that both pitches were thrown behind the leadoff batter. A Rangers batter was hit by a pitch in the top of the 1st, and Myette responded by throwing both of his first two pitches behind the first batter of the bottom of the 1st. The ejection was definitely warranted, just as the three ejections in San Francisco were!

Cheers,
Brad
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll note a couple things on the SF-SD game. First it was clear Hirschbeck was in pain. He paused here and there, usually not for long, but at least once Stan Conte came out to help (or at least check on him). As to the game's finale, watching the Sports Center highlights later, it looked like Santiago said "That was a foul tip" to Hirschbeck as he headed toward the dugout, and he was ejected for that. (Of course he may have said something else--there wasn't a mic.) Santiago definitely made the ejection worth his while arguing afterward though! Baker claims Hirschbeck bumped Santiago, not the other way around, but that claim is probably to be expected. I was at the game but I missed the alleged bump. Tensions were already high before the alleged foul tip, because there were two bad calls immediately preceding it. First a runner was thrown out at first, and then the pinch runner who replaced him was thrown out at second, but both times they were called safe. By the time the game was over, I think all three who were ejected deserved to be. But at the same time Hirschbeck was smiling and seemed to enjoy the confrontation. I didn't see the Ranger game, but since the pitcher didn't actually hit the batter I don't think he should've been ejected. I'd give the pitcher the benefit of the doubt that he didn't warm up enough, and just eject him if he was warned and the batter was hit. Maybe that's why I'm a fan and not an umpire. One other note, an ump's call or lack of call can definitely mean the difference of the game. In a recent SF-LA game a Dodger fan reached over the field and put his glove in front of Goodwin's to catch a foul ball. Had the umpire ruled it an out, the Giants would have won. I admit that was a little hard to see though. (Certainly harder then the "home run" in Arizona earlier this year.) Thanks for listening to my rant everyone. Sorry for going off topic. I'll be hoping for the best this weekend. Karl
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

Karl,

I love it when fans post. It is always so entertaining.

From your placve in the stands, knowing full well that you are a FAN, you state that there were "two bad calls". Yep, I am sure that from the stands you had a better view (and certainly your position of being a FAN didn't impact your judgment) than a professional umpire maybe 15' from the play.

Now I am not saying that an MLB umpire can't make a bad call . . . I 've see enough replays of Don Denkinger to get that point, however, you then go on to say that the pinch runner was also "safe." I think that is really funny. Two "bads" calls back-to-back -- AND AGAINST YOUR TEAM.

No one is arguing that Hirschbeck is hurt. Shoot, he went from the game to the hospital to have an MRI on his hip.

We are just saying that your being a FAN has colored your view of what really happens in professional sports.

Your view of the Texas games is just plain silly.

There are first major league rules that dictate certain situations . . . and Karl throwing BEHIND a hitter might occur in LL ball BUT TWICE, IN A ROW AT THE MLB LEVEL and AFTER ONE OF HIS TEAMMATES HAD BEEN HIT. Give me a break . . . give me a bone that you remotely even understand Major League Baseball.

Karl, rarely can an umpire's call even affect a game much less determine the outcome.

Keep being a fan Karl and leave the umpiring to professionals.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that the umpires have a better view than the fans. Unfortunately Sports center didn't show a replay of the call at first base, but they did show the one at second base, and it was very obvious. Depsite their better view sometimes umpires make completely wrong calls, but that's one of the hazards of the games. I think most umpires do their best, and that's all you can ask for.
Old Tue Oct 01, 2002, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm, I am addicted I guess. Keep coming to this forum and just keep laughing at the cr*p I see.

Karlk is a fan. So? Let anyone post. Don't run him out of town because he is bias and OBJECTIVE. Heck, aren't all umpires?

Way to patronize the guy/girl. Just wants an answer and no one can give him one. They keep referring to him as a "fan". Who cares?! Aren't we all?

Hold up your hand if you are a professional umpire? Uh, none. I thought so. So then you are all fans of the game and umpire for fun. No different then Karlk.

He has a favorite team. States his case with facts. And you guys get on him for being a fan and bias. Easy does it sparkies.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 08:21am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Whowefoolin,

I agree, everybody has a right to be a fan and state their case and opinions, but I MUST remind you of one thing and that is this is an officials forum. Officials and umpires are going to stick together when they see this kind of nonsense going on.
Tell me something, are you a MLB umpire? I did not think so either, so I do not appreciate you coming in here and getting vocal at us as umpires for sticking behind our fellow umpires. Mark Hirschbeck is one of the best MLB umpires on their staff. He has worked in the past four years either in the World Series or LCS's, so his resume speaks for itself.
Tell me something please, if you had his travel schedule, would you not be a little bit edgey toward the end of the season as well. I would highly recommend that from now on, you very seriously reconsider your move on getting vocal at officials and umpires that stand up for each other. That is an agruement you will NEVER win.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
By the way,

Mark Hirschbeck is not working the Braves series anyway, he was assigned to the Yankees series. He was on the right field line last night.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Again,

whowefoolin:

I repeatedly told Karl to be the fan he wants.

He misstated facts and I gave my opinion.

You will not stop any of us from posting. I checked, you're not listed as the editor of this page or the owner.

Keep at it and someone will take you to the woodshed, AGAIN.
Old Wed Oct 02, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Tee-ball,

Yes, you did tell him (over and over) to be the fan he wants. Matter of fact, in a derogatory way you said it. Belittlement is what it came out as. Good job shunning fans from a public forum.

If he mistated facts, why didn't you back it up with facts instead of opinions? You say I am wrong, be factual, not opinionated. Where did you receive your GED?

I believe I never said I was editor or owner of this page (your opinion again!). I never tried to have anyone stop posting.

Woodshed?

Tim, chill out some and don't jump on everyones case because they have their own opinions or heard something different. We all know you are the best. Is that what you needed to hear?

I do college ball by the way. MSBL. LL. Pony. And FED!

Old Thu Oct 03, 2002, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Hehehehe,

whowefoolin,

I once thought your posts where insightful and fun.

Now you are just what all anons are . . . cheap, sordid and superficial.

I really don't care about you bragging at the levels you umpire. ANYONE can "say" what they do . . . the "proof is in the puddin'" as they say.

Nothing I said was condesending, you made that asumption and we know what assuming is, I really want there to be fans and people that understand the sublties of umpiring.

I would suggest you load up your intellectual guns if you want respect on this board.

Oh yeah, as BFair says,

Just My Opinion,