The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Interesting Ejections, I wonder why? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58823-interesting-ejections-i-wonder-why.html)

jkumpire Tue Aug 10, 2010 08:54pm

Interesting Ejections, I wonder why?

Tempers flare early between Cards, Reds | MLB.com: News

Even though the game is still going on, I thought I would bring this up. I find it interesting that the crew ejected no players, only the two managers after all the pushing and shoving.

Also, unlike most brawls when the crew tries to stay out of it, the crew got buried so deep in the pile, there might have been no player ejections because they could not see the action.

I understand the managers needed to go, and they deserved it, but St. Louis' F2 and Cincy's F4 (whose mouth in the paper started everything) at least should have gone too, plus a couple of other players if the after-action report is right in the story.

The Cardinals F2 in my opinion needs to go since it was obvious he started it. Why he just didn't dial up a brush back pitch on the first pitch and get it over with is amazing. Or better yet, throw the message pitch at him in the 4th, and there is less chance of a brawl.

Comments?

yawetag Tue Aug 10, 2010 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 688404)
Why he just didn't dial up a brush back pitch on the first pitch and get it over with is amazing.

I suppose it would have been better for him (Molina) to be ejected than his pitcher. He got lucky that he didn't.

Matt Tue Aug 10, 2010 09:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkumpire (Post 688404)
The Cardinals F2 in my opinion needs to go since it was obvious he started it.

From what I'm hearing, Phillips tapped him in the leg with his bat, so I wouldn't say it was obvious Molina started it.

Sven K Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:12pm

Phillips was running his mouth yesterday and then pulls that crap at the start of the game. He's a punk who needs to learn how to conduct himself properly.

briancurtin Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 688407)
From what I'm hearing, Phillips tapped him in the leg with his bat, so I wouldn't say it was obvious Molina started it.

Players have been doing that for decades to both catchers and even umpires. It's like saying high and shaking hands...instead of actually shaking hands.

Matt Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by briancurtin (Post 688413)
Players have been doing that for decades to both catchers and even umpires. It's like saying high and shaking hands...instead of actually shaking hands.

It's all about context. You slap a guy on the *** after a home run, it means one thing. You do it in a bar, it means another.

GoodwillRef Wed Aug 11, 2010 07:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 688407)

Matt, he tried to tap his leg and Molina kicked his bat if you watch closely...then he taps him again. You can't say publicly that you hate a team and then try to be nice the next day...good for Molina.

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 11, 2010 08:17am

I'm betting his Reds teammates were not all that enthused about his actions. He talks smack to the media, then goes up and taps Molina's legs like there's no problem. I'm sure that when it became a fight the Reds (who HAD to go out there to protect a teammate ... but didn't have to like it) didn't exactly have their hearts in it.

Hey, Phillips... talk smack all you want, but walk up to the plate and take one in the shoulderblades - like every other MLB'er before you.

Still can't figure out how Phillips wasn't tossed... nor why the coaches were.

mbyron Wed Aug 11, 2010 08:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 688427)

I suspect that due to the media coverage of Phillips, the umpires told both managers before the game that the first kerfuffle was on them.

yawetag Wed Aug 11, 2010 03:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 688427)

Phillips? Why? According to reports from both sides of the media, Phillips taps the shins of the catcher and umpire in every game. Other than the statements he made the day before, this action was no different.

MD Longhorn Wed Aug 11, 2010 03:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 688488)
Phillips? Why? According to reports from both sides of the media, Phillips taps the shins of the catcher and umpire in every game. Other than the statements he made the day before, this action was no different.

You don't think that after those comments, the ankle tap was the instigator for this situation?

yawetag Wed Aug 11, 2010 06:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbcrowder (Post 688489)
You don't think that after those comments, the ankle tap was the instigator for this situation?

Nope... and I'm a Cardinals fan. Molina instigated the bench clearing.

DG Wed Aug 11, 2010 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 688500)
Nope... and I'm a Cardinals fan. Molina instigated the bench clearing.

Phillips...

yawetag Thu Aug 12, 2010 03:35am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 688511)
Phillips...

I guess if you went back to the previous day, then yes. However, Molina started the bench clearing. Phillips did what he always does and Molina took it as the time to start what was inevitable.

I think we can all agree that had the clearing not happened then, Phillips would have been beaned on the first pitch anyway. In a way, Molina kept his pitcher in the game.

Sven K Thu Aug 12, 2010 07:41am

You don't declare, "I hate the Cardinals." and then go trying to act buddy-buddy the next day at the game.

Molina actually might have saved him from getting plunked in the head.