The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Dodgers/Padres...Rule 8.06 (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58642-dodgers-padres-rule-8-06-a.html)

mbyron Wed Jul 21, 2010 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxRolo (Post 686213)
The rule says manager is removed from the game as is the pitcher.

Not ejected from the game. There is a difference.

Oh? Please explain the difference and your rules basis for thinking that there is one.

MrUmpire Wed Jul 21, 2010 06:02pm

Dodgers/Padres...Rule 8.06

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbmartin (Post 686132)
I wasn't watching live

Obviously. It was Dodgers/Giants

johnnyg08 Wed Jul 21, 2010 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxRolo (Post 686213)
The rule says manager is removed from the game as is the pitcher.

I just typed the interp word-for-word from MLBUM, I didn't see anything about the manager being removed from the game. Do you have a different interp?

JaxRolo Wed Jul 21, 2010 07:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 686223)
I just typed the interp word-for-word from MLBUM, I didn't see anything about the manager being removed from the game. Do you have a different interp?

Right from MLB.com OBR Page 83:

the manager shall be removed from the game and the pitcher required to pitch to the batter until he is retired or gets on base. After the batter is retired, or becomes a base runner, then this pitcher must be removed from the game.

bob jenkins Thu Jul 22, 2010 07:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxRolo (Post 686225)
Right from MLB.com OBR Page 83:

the manager shall be removed from the game and the pitcher required to pitch to the batter until he is retired or gets on base. After the batter is retired, or becomes a base runner, then this pitcher must be removed from the game.

We understand the rule says "removed." The question is, how is this different from "ejected?"

mbyron Thu Jul 22, 2010 08:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 686257)
We understand the rule says "removed." The question is, how is this different from "ejected?"

Exactly. With players the difference is clear, since they're playing: they can be "removed" from the game by substitution or by ejection.

There's no procedure comparable to substitution for coaches or managers. That leaves ejection.

RogersUmp Thu Jul 22, 2010 01:32pm

Remove

When the rule states anyone is to be removed from the game (not by manager's choice) that is the same as ejection. Forced is another appropriate verb here. Maybe ejection only means physically ejected into the air landing somewhere out of the field of play?:rolleyes:

JaxRolo Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogersUmp (Post 686300)
When the rule states anyone is to be removed from the game (not by manager's choice) that is the same as ejection. Forced is another appropriate verb here. Maybe ejection only means physically ejected into the air landing somewhere out of the field of play?:rolleyes:

I disagree.

you can remove a coach by restricting him to the dugout. He can't comeback on the field for any reason except for an injury.

Welpe Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaxRolo (Post 686320)
I disagree.

you can remove a coach by restricting him to the dugout. He can't comeback on the field for any reason except for an injury.

OK but this game wasn't played under Fed rules.

MrUmpire Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:32pm

Quote:

I disagree.

When have you ever seen a major league manager restricted to the dugout? Remember, we are speaking of OBR, rules written and owned by Major League Baseball.

UmpJM Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:35pm

Quote:

I disagree.

Jax,

Please tell me you're kidding.

JM

johnnyg08 Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:38pm

They should be consistent though and use the term "eject" instead of "remove" that can have several meanings...in fact the MLBUM term uses remove, not eject too.

mbyron Thu Jul 22, 2010 04:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 686331)
Jax,

Please tell me you're kidding.

JM

He's not kidding, though he might be a troll.

He's also wrong. Restricting a coach to the dugout is NOT removing him from the game, since he can continue to perform most coaching functions from there.

AAUA96 Thu Jul 22, 2010 05:10pm

Remove - not the same as eject

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 686257)

The pitcher that is "removed" may stay in the dug out for the rest of the game. A pitcher that is "ejected" may not be in the dug out.

Doesn't happen that often - but it did to me once.

Walt

MrUmpire Thu Jul 22, 2010 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AAUA96 (Post 686342)
The pitcher that is "removed" may stay in the dug out for the rest of the game. A pitcher that is "ejected" may not be in the dug out.

Doesn't happen that often - but it did to me once.

Walt

Under which rule enforced in what league?

You do understand that we are discussing a Major League situation, right?