The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Sunday Afternoon Men's League

Had a men's league DH today. Sloppy ball for the most part and to top it off it was hot and humid the first game however just hot the second. Had the dish the first game and although the play was not all that good I had a good call at the plate. Situation: R1, 1 out, RHB, 2-1 count (I think doesn’t matter really on the count). Next pitch R1 stealing second, batter misses on the swing but the swing was so hard he corkscrewed himself all the way around and used his bat to hold himself up, however in doing so he stretched his bat across the plate and the catcher ran into it as he made his throw to second. I pointed to the batter and held out my fist for a delayed dead ball to see if we got the runner or not. Didn’t get the runner however I called the batter out for Batter Interference and sent the runner back to first. The team at bat thought that the runner could stay at second because he got it but I said no.

In the second game I was in the field and had a good call at third. Situation: R3, R2, 1 out. Batter hits a slow ground ball to F3, F3 fields the ball and sees R3 heading for home, he throws the ball to F2 and got the runner in a rundown between home and third. Runner makes it back to third however by this time R2 was now standing on third too. Catcher tags R2 and I point to him and say “You’re Out”, then for some reason R3 leaves the base and a tag is made on him, “You’re out too”. Inning over. They didn’t like that and tried to argue with me that I was wrong. I plainly told the runner that the rule is if two runners occupy the same base, the proceeding runner is out. He said “No way, we just had this happen to us last night too.” I just looked at him and shook my head, guess they didn’t learn from last night’s lesson.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK47 View Post
... I plainly told the runner that the rule is if two runners occupy the same base, the proceeding runner is out. ...
BK47,

If only you'd said "the following runner".

JM
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 09:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
“No way, we just had this happen to us last night too.” I just looked at him and shook my head, guess they didn’t learn from last night’s lesson.
Last night's ump must have blew the call, so he was confused why the correct ruling was the right one.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 09:28pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Nice job. At some point consider getting rid of the FED delayed dead ball mechanic...but if that's what your group wants you to do, then stick with it. Good job on the plays.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BK47
Thanks guys, I appreciate that.

Coach, thats why I pointed to the preceeding runner as I was looking at him in the eyes. The third base coach should have been paying attention and told the first runner to stay there.

(Coach, just reread your post, yeah, I could have said that when explaining it them)

Johnny, instead of the delayed dead ball how is that done in the majors? I dont think I have ever seen anything like that in the pro's.

Last edited by BK47; Sun Jul 18, 2010 at 10:12pm. Reason: reread Coach's post
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 10:15pm
Stop staring at me swan.

On those plays they point at the Interference, say, "that's interference" and watch the rest of the play. They don't hold the fist out there like the FED mechanic.

Again, stick with what works for you, but as you move up, you'll notice that mechanic isn't used very often.
Old Sun Jul 18, 2010, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation: R1, 1 out, RHB, 2-1 count (I think doesn’t matter really on the count).
As long as there wasn't 2 strikes already, the count doesn't matter.

Good calls all around.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 03:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Coach, thats why I pointed to the preceeding runner as I was looking at him in the eyes.
I think you missed the point- even if you did use a good mechanic and call out the right runner.

The preceding runner is the lead runner.

The trailing runner is the succeeding runner.
Old Mon Jul 19, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
the rule is if two runners occupy the same base, the proceeding runner is out.
True if the trailing runner is not forced to the base and the lead runner was still entitled to the base, like this situation. Had the bases been loaded, then both R2 and R3 would have been forced to advance, and R2 would have been entitled to the base and the catcher would have needed to tag R3. The rule is if two runners occupy the same base, the runner not entitled to the base is out if tagged.