The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Tough ending to game (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58538-tough-ending-game.html)

DTQ_Blue Sat Jul 03, 2010 02:51pm

Tough ending to game

Last at bat, visitor down 4 runs, 16 y/o state tournament birth on the line (LL seniors), 2 outs R1 on 2nd, 3-2 count, RH batter. Pitch is considerably outside. I'm PU and locked in on the pitch. If the batter made any attempt to swing, it wasn't enough for me to notice, probably because my eyes are tracking to the outside of the plate. I call ball (4) and batter tosses his bat toward the dugout down the first base line and heads to first. Several members of the defense are yelling that he swung at the ball. I'm thinking if he did, I missed it completely, but I can get help. I go to U1 (we had a 4 man crew) who bangs the batter out.

After the game U1 isn't able to explain his call to me in a way that makes any sense, so I'm thinking that maybe what happened is that the batter slightly moved his bat (outside of my field of vision) followed by a quick bat toss and U1 didn't know the difference between that sequence and an offer at the ball.

This was a put together crew of guys from different local LLs and I had no idea of the skill level or rules knowledge of my partners.

Could I have done anything differently, or do you just live or die with your partner's call when you ask for help.

JRutledge Sat Jul 03, 2010 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by DTQ_Blue (Post 684422)
Could I have done anything differently, or do you just live or die with your partner's call when you ask for help.

No. They asked for help and you did not see the play admittedly. And just because the explanation was not great, does not mean it was the wrong call either. And depending on the rules you played under, you probably had little to no choice but ask for help.

Peace

kylejt Sat Jul 03, 2010 08:00pm

Quote:

I would have waited for either the catcher or manager to ask me to get help, then go with what your partner says. Pretty simple.

yawetag Sun Jul 04, 2010 01:25am

Quote:

This was a put together crew of guys from different local LLs and I had no idea of the skill level or rules knowledge of my partners.

Did you have any type of pre-game. This would have given you some idea of what you were partnered with. However, what would it have mattered?

Quote:

As others have said, you'd just have to live with your partner's call. You stated that you may have missed the swing, and that's why an appeal is in the rule book.

dash_riprock Sun Jul 04, 2010 08:22am

Unless F2 stands up or hornets sting you in both eyes, you have to get that swing (if he indeed swings). I don't buy the tracking excuse. The swing will begin (relatively) long before your eyes track the pitch off the plate. That's your call.

ozzy6900 Sun Jul 04, 2010 09:50am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 684464)
Unless F2 stands up or hornets sting you in both eyes, you have to get that swing (if he indeed swings). I don't buy the tracking excuse. The swing will begin (relatively) long before your eyes track the pitch off the plate. That's your call.

Agree 100%! You have to see both the bat and the pitch. That said, why did you question your partner about his call? He rendered his decision when you went to him, so what's up with the questions? Who cares about the "bad ending" to the game - was your favorite team loosing? You are supposed to be an official so you don't care who wins or looses.

waltjp Sun Jul 04, 2010 09:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 684464)

So why do we have swing appeals?

johnnyg08 Sun Jul 04, 2010 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 684503)

I agree with this.

DG Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 684503)

Because it is expected, by rule, and no one is 100% on determining yes or no.

That being said, studies have shown that a very high percentage of major league players could not stop their bat once started, so why would we expect amateurs to be able to do so? Vast majority of "check swings" are swings.

In my pregame I always say that if I come to you on check swing appeal to give me what you got because if I missed a strike I want it back.

waltjp Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:39pm

I'm not making an argument against the appeal. My question was to the post that stated that the PU has to get this call.

dash_riprock Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 684507)
I'm not making an argument against the appeal. My question was to the post that stated that the PU has to get this call.

You don't think it's PU's job to see and call a swing?

waltjp Mon Jul 05, 2010 09:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 684508)
You don't think it's PU's job to see and call a swing?

You're pulling my leg, right? You can't possibly be this obtuse. Of course the PU calls ball and strikes but following your line of thinking there is no need for check swing appeals.

So what do you propose? Should the PU have sole authority for all balls and strikes, including all swings? Should we not have a check swing appeal?

JRutledge Mon Jul 05, 2010 09:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 684558)
You're pulling my leg, right? You can't possibly be this obtuse. Of course the PU calls ball and strikes but following your line of thinking there is no need for check swing appeals.

So what do you propose? Should the PU have sole authority for all balls and strikes, including all swings? Should we not have a check swing appeal?

The PU can and has the authority to rule on a swing. In NF rules it is up to the PU to make the request. So on some level the answer is yes. But if you do not see it, then ask for an appeal. But if you see a clear swing, why ask for an appeal?

Peace

dash_riprock Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by waltjp (Post 684558)
Of course the PU calls ball and strikes but following your line of thinking there is no need for check swing appeals.

That is not following my line of thinking. I have no problem with appeals. In fact, I love them and always grant them even in FED.

My comment referred to a situation where PU, with an unobstructed view of the batter, failed to see even an attempt at a swing (because he was tracking an outside pitch) that his partner eventually rang up. The OP intimated that it was a full swing, not a borderline check swing. That is a call that PU is expected to get without any help. You pull that stuff in college or even decent HS varsity and you will get chewed on (properly) for not getting your own calls.

waltjp Wed Jul 07, 2010 07:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 684563)
That is not following my line of thinking. I have no problem with appeals. In fact, I love them and always grant them even in FED.

My comment referred to a situation where PU, with an unobstructed view of the batter, failed to see even an attempt at a swing (because he was tracking an outside pitch) that his partner eventually rang up. The OP intimated that it was a full swing, not a borderline check swing. That is a call that PU is expected to get without any help. You pull that stuff in college or even decent HS varsity and you will get chewed on (properly) for not getting your own calls.

I agree with this. Appears we had a misunderstanding.