The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   TB @ MIN - "Missed" Tag at 3B in the 10th :eek: (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58533-tb-min-missed-tag-3b-10th-eek.html)

Ump Rube Fri Jul 02, 2010 08:51am

TB @ MIN - "Missed" Tag at 3B in the 10th :eek:

Top Plays | TB@MIN: Gardenhire is ejected arguing a play at third - Video | twinsbaseball.com: Multimedia

I absolutely do not understand how anyone can make this call. I am not saying it changes the game (go-ahead already scored), but it really took the life out of the crowd to have to sit for another batter. Here are my thoughts about making that call...

1. If he did miss, and he didn't, how can you possibly make that call when the runner stops.
2. If you are going to make that call, it had better be 100% right. You had better see clear daylight between the runner and glove.

Also, what was Marquez thinking when Gardy came out? Isn't one of the guidelines for meeting a manager that you meet him in the grass so he cannot kick dirt on you? Not many MLB mangers left that would do this, but I think Gardy would be on the list. (This wasn't in the video, but I was at the game)

johnnyg08 Fri Jul 02, 2010 09:13am

There's no way he saw daylight from that angle either. You can't defend that. That is an out.

zm1283 Fri Jul 02, 2010 09:21am

How did he not see the tag? The play was directly in front of him. I don't know how you could possibly defend that call.

johnnyg08 Fri Jul 02, 2010 09:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by zm1283 (Post 684277)
How did he not see the tag? The play was directly in front of him. I don't know how you could possibly defend that call.

Wait an hour...they'll come to his rescue...

Welpe Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00am

Love the bag of seeds hanging out of his pocket.

MD Longhorn Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:09am

Wow. Our boys at the top are taking a beating lately. I too can't see how this one could be missed. Wow.

jicecone Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:40am

When will the apology and confession come out?

scarolinablue Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:11am

So a bag of seeds and spitting them on the field is considered OK for a professional umpire? I wouldn't even consider that on a HS or Legion field but maybe that's just me. Horrible call.

youngump Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:22am

Note the caption on the video: Gardenhire ejected for arguing **close** play at third.
________
black girl Webcams

Kevin Finnerty Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:26am

The seeds thing is absolutely dumbfounding.

A partner to me last Sunday after putting a seed bag to his mouth in B or C position at least a dozen times: "What do you have for me?"

Me: "Ballplayers started out as boorish, undisciplined slobs. Umpires started out dressed in top hats and coats and ties. We haven't evolved far enough to allow for eating from a bag and spitting out the remains, while we're supposed to be working. And I'm not even talking about moving up, I'm talking about respecting the level of play you're working now."

Seeds being poured in the mouth on a field is unprofessional.

GoodwillRef Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:28am

The umpire is so calm during the argument...the ejection was very cordial.

jicecone Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:41am

It's Gardenshire! You just expect him to get tossed, no big deal anymore.

Kevin Finnerty Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:57am

As for the call and Marquez's appearance and behavior during the argument: embarrassing, unprofessional, astounding, horrible ... anyone?

Dakota Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jicecone (Post 684309)
It's Gardenshire! You just expect him to get tossed, no big deal anymore.

So, Gardenhire didn't have a case here? What has happened to MLB umpiring? This continuing sequence of inexplicably missed calls is disturbing. Maybe he was reaching for a snack instead of watching the play.

jicecone Fri Jul 02, 2010 01:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dakota (Post 684314)
So, Gardenhire didn't have a case here? What has happened to MLB umpiring? This continuing sequence of inexplicably missed calls is disturbing. Maybe he was reaching for a snack instead of watching the play.

He did.

But, did you ever hear the story about the little boy that cried "Wolf" all the time.