The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool For your viewing pleasure, redux...

Guys,

Posted a video of myself working a game here a couple of years ago, and got some very helpful feed back, so I thought I'd do it again.

The game is from this past Sunday and is from an MABL wood bat game.

Any and all critique is welcome, from the general to the nit-picky.

Have at it. Thanks in advance to any who choose to comment.

and

JM
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

I love how fast they change out. Wish all teams switched that fast.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

I just watched one of them so far

Pretty good overall.

On some pitches, not all, seems like you were rising early. Otherwise, the mechanics are pretty crisp, clean.

I don't know if being that close to the catcher was the cause of the minor bump I saw or if he just turned back on you and caught you by surprise a bit.

A two minute half inning is a sign of pretty good umpiring, take it every time.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

I applaude you for posting a vid of yourself...and asking for feedback. I know that there are people that post here that would never put a vid of themselves on the web for people to see. Anyway, I watched most of the first inning. Here is what I got:

Timing is ok..... Might slow it down just a tad. On a swinging strike 3, you dont have to hurry your mechanic.

foul pop up on 3rd base side.... no need for a mechanic on a "can of corn".. that ball looked oviously foul...IMO pointing foul is not needed on this play.

You put the ball back in play after every foul ball with no runners on base.
That is ok..but with nobody on base, not really needed.

Head height was good...maybe a inch higher.

Overall, I would work with ya...I dont know your experience, but I have seen MUCH...MUCH WORSE. You do not fall into that catagory. Now do you have any video of handling a pist off coach?? That's what I want to see. Keep working hard and good luck to you.
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 03:08pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Watched video clip two. Seems like you're a little fast (timing) on your decision. Do you feel like you sometimes miss close pitches, sharp breaking balls, or fast balls that miss their target but are strikes (F2 set up outside and pitch hits the inside corner)?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

JM, I noticed the same things as Chris, with the same reaction. On the foul ball I signal foul but not the catch if it's above the waist, and I don't put the ball back in play unless runners are on base.

The CABA world series is around here this weekend. Wanna work some games?
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

You are not as low as you were in the last videos but I still think you should be up in your stance a bit more. You're chin still seems a bit below F2's head.

And I still think you're an old fart!
(one old fart to another!)
Old Wed Jun 30, 2010, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

As Jimmy teaches, there are there components to establishing your the height: Width of stance, crouch and lean. It appears you are depending too much on the crouch.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 03:59am
Official Forum Member

First video at the 2:00 mark, you and F2 have a bump on a foul ball. Your instinct was to clear to his left, and you did so before he made a move, which also happened to be to his left. I've learned to stay put and turn with him -- if he turns left, I clear right; if he turns right, I clear left. You did a lot better on the next one (2:30-ish).

Other than that, everything looked good to me. I saw signaling with your partner, and you moved around as needed. Great job.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 05:54am
Official Forum Member

There is a band of sweat underneath your hat, your ball bag is 3/4 of an inch too far back, you are using an old indicator, the back of your shirt is wrinkled , and you need a new pair of socks. Despite all of these obvious flaws, I would work with you anytime.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 07:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag View Post
First video at the 2:00 mark, you and F2 have a bump on a foul ball. Your instinct was to clear to his left, and you did so before he made a move, which also happened to be to his left. I've learned to stay put and turn with him -- if he turns left, I clear right; if he turns right, I clear left. You did a lot better on the next one (2:30-ish).
My first reaction is usually one step back and look at F2. See where he is going. The one step back gives me enough distance that even if I misread it, I am still able to stay out of the way. I haven't misread one in a very long time and I think the one step has helped that. It gives me just a little longer to read where F2 is going before he gets to my position. Especially if it is one that is straight back and I don't know which way he may go.
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Your video

If you are in the "slot", it looks as though your head ht. is at the top of the strike zone. Our umps who have been to PRO-school, tell us that is what they are teaching, not the ht. of F-2. I think your head ht. looks good. Around 5+ min. you called a ball and said "a little high or some description". I do not think you should describe where the pitch was. Your hustle to follow to 1st base was good, Mask off with the rt. hand, good. I would work with you from what I saw.

The real test comes when we have confrontations. Experience is the best teacher when problems occur. Learn from your mistakes.

Over all, nice work.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 10:36am
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP 64 View Post
Mask off with the rt. hand, good.
Do you mean "correct" hand?
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Left hand

I meant to say with the correct hand (left hand of course). Thank you for correcting my "DUH" brain fart by an old fart.

Thoes who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it!
Old Thu Jul 01, 2010, 01:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

That's what I figured, but some newer umpires might have been confused.