The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Uncaught 3rd strike (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58512-uncaught-3rd-strike.html)

charliej47 Wed Jun 30, 2010 08:50am

Uncaught 3rd strike

I'm the BU for a 13U game being played under OBR rules.

The uncaught 3rd strike hit F2's chest protector and rebounded fair. As the batter-runner advanced toward 1st base he contacted the rolling ball.

It did not appear that he went toward the ball but that the ball rolled into his path.

PU did not rule a dead ball and the batter-runner reached 1st.

The defensive HC asked for a ruling. the PU asked me if I saw anything that would rule the batter-runner out. I told him that it looked like the ball hit him and not him hitting the ball. We both agreed there was nothing there and he told the coach that.

Did we mess up? I looked in the rule book last night and can't find anything to contradict our judgment:confused:.

TwoBits Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:01am

You got it right. You have a thrown (pitched) ball that had the opportunity to be caught, but wasn't. As long as the batter did nothing intentionally to deflect the ball, let the resulting play stand.

charliej47 Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:36am

We explained Rule 6.09 to the coach about dropped 3rd strikes and he insisted that the batter interfered with the ball because of the touch.

I was looking through the rules trying to find the interpretation but can not find anything about inadvertent contact.:confused:

GoodwillRef Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:50am

So the coach wanted you to penalize the batter for his team not making the proper play...:confused:....sounds logical, if you are a coach!

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 30, 2010 09:52am

When you know you're 100% right, make the call and move on. You're not obligated to host a rules clinic on the field. Rat is just looking for you to bail out his team and he may or may not know the rule.

UmpJM Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 683924)
When you know you're 100% right, make the call and move on. ....

johnny,

It sounds like charlie is anything BUT "100% certain" he was right. What's your advice to him?

JM

charliej47 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:22am

I have no problem with our call.

I was looking for some rules comments from OBR that spelled out incidental contact between the batter-runner and the ball.

After the game my partner asked me if I knew something specific other than batter interference. I told him there was no interference.

UmpJM Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35am

charlie,

Sounds like your call was correct. From the MLBUM:

Quote:

6.11 BATTER INTERFERES AFTER THIRD STRIKE NOT CAUGHT

Official Baseball Rule 7.09(a) provides that the batter-runner be called out for interference if "after a third strike he hinders the catcher in his attempt to field the ball."

Play: First base unoccupied or two out. Strike three not caught. Batter-runner unintentionally kicks, touches, or otherwise deflects the pitched ball that was not caught by the catcher. Catcher is unable to make a play.

Ruling: If this occurs in the vicinity of home plate, the ball is alive and in play. However, if this occurs up the first base line (where the batter-runner has had time to avoid the ball), interference is called, the batter-runner declared out, and runners return to base occupied at time of pitch.
JM

johnnyg08 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:37am

That's the interp I was thinking of. If the B/R could have avoided being hit up the line, he can be called out as his post states.

charliej47 Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM) (Post 683937)
charlie,

Sounds like your call was correct. From the MLBUM:

JM

I knew I had read it somewhere and I did not have all of my books with me.

Thanks

mbyron Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by charliej47 (Post 683934)
I was looking for some rules comments from OBR that spelled out incidental contact between the batter-runner and the ball.

All you'll find in OBR are definitions of interference. Your play does not meet those definitions, so you should not call INT. You got it right, as everyone has said.