The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   2-Man Mechanics Situation (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58449-2-man-mechanics-situation.html)

JJ Sun Jun 20, 2010 08:25pm

2-Man Mechanics Situation

R1, R2, 1 out. Runners off with the pitch, batter lines out to F9. Looks like an easy, inning ending DP, but F9 throws the ball wildly and both runners advance easily.
The defense appeals R2 left early and did not retouch.
Here's the problem: The base umpire, seeing the easy DP developing at first base, moved that way with the throw and did not see if R2 ever retouched. The plate umpire saw the play develop and had to move toward foul ground on the first base side to follow the overthrow.
Who has the retouch at second base?

JJ

Steven Tyler Sun Jun 20, 2010 09:19pm

BU. Why is BU moving towards 1B in the first place? Why is PU moving towards foul territory to chase a bad throw?

UmpJM Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:07pm

JJ,

BU has the R2's retouch.

JM

BK47 Mon Jun 21, 2010 06:10am

yes JJ, that is BU's call.

In a normal rotation, R1 on second & R2 on first, less than two outs, the rotation is: fly ball to the outfield in the "V" PU goes up to third for the tag up of R1 while BU watches for catch and R2.

In your situation, a fly ball to F9 going towards the line, PU should yell out to BU "I've got the line". That tells BU that rotation is OFF and he has both tag ups. If it was F9 going towards center then BU has the catch and rotation is still on.

mbyron Mon Jun 21, 2010 06:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK47 (Post 682641)

In a normal rotation, R1 on second & R2 on first, less than two outs, the rotation is: fly ball to the outfield in the "V" PU goes up to third for the tag up of R1 while BU watches for catch and R2.

In your situation, a fly ball to F9 going towards the line, PU should yell out to BU "I've got the line". That tells BU that rotation is OFF and he has both tag ups. If it was F9 going towards center then BU has the catch and rotation is still on.

By reversing the runners, you've screwed this up. R2 means 'runner on 2B' (except in the idiotic FED notation that nobody else uses or should use). When JM says BU has the retouch for R2, that's what he means.

When I pregame this situation with my partner, we always give BU the tag by R2. Whether the ball is in the 'V' or to F9 moving toward the line, it makes more sense for PU to take R1's tag (if any).

The only issues are: (a) if PU is on the line for catch/no catch by F9, then he won't be at 3B for a play there on R2; and (b) if PU is on the other line for catch/no catch by F7, then he won't be able to see R1 tag.

Still, I like this mechanic better here. I agree that communication is essential to getting everything covered, but that's true in general and not unique to this situation.

bob jenkins Mon Jun 21, 2010 07:59am

Quote:

1) JJ didn't say that PU had the catch/no-catch call.

2) BU has the tag-up at second whether PU has the catch/no-catch call.

3) What changes is any play on R2 at third -- BU has this if PU is "on-the line" -- but that wasn't the play in question.

dash_riprock Mon Jun 21, 2010 01:28pm

Quote:

R1 on second & R2 on first...

Please -- just R1, R2. The FED way of identifying baserunners is a needle in the balloon of understanding.

BK47 Mon Jun 21, 2010 02:09pm

well excuse me byron for "screwing this up". is this better:

BU has retouch of second base.

Rich Mon Jun 21, 2010 03:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK47 (Post 682702)
well excuse me byron for "screwing this up". is this better:

BU has retouch of second base.

No. Repeat after me:

"BU has retouch of R2."

mbyron Mon Jun 21, 2010 04:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BK47 (Post 682702)
well excuse me byron for "screwing this up".

Sorry, no offense intended. I've noticed more people using the annoying FED terminology (they screwed up R1, R2, etc.), and I allowed my annoyance into that post. I didn't mean any personal attack in addressing your error.