The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Catch question- Bizzaro world play (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58163-catch-question-bizzaro-world-play.html)

Matt Tue May 25, 2010 12:09am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 678392)
N/A to an outfielder.

Right. And if R3 is trying to score, I'm not going to protect him for being too stupid to run on first touching of the ball.

johnnyg08 Tue May 25, 2010 12:52am

Good points guys...thanks

MD Longhorn Tue May 25, 2010 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 678397)
Right. And if R3 is trying to score, I'm not going to protect him for being too stupid to run on first touching of the ball.

Even if OF is close enough that he would have been stupider to try to score? Close enough that if OF sees him take off, he can go ahead and catch the ball and nail him at either home or 3rd?

DG Tue May 25, 2010 09:46pm

Fact is, R3 will tag up and if outfielder keeps juggling the ball around he will score.

MD Longhorn Wed May 26, 2010 08:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG (Post 678559)
Fact is, R3 will tag up and if outfielder keeps juggling the ball around he will score.

His run won't count when R2 and R1 are doubled up.

bluehair Sun May 30, 2010 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08 (Post 678375)
Intentional Drop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 678392)
N/A to an outfielder.

Perhaps you could justify considering the juggling outfielder as now an infielder, get him for an intentional drop thereby preventing a cheap DP.

yawetag Sun May 30, 2010 11:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehair (Post 679253)
Perhaps you could justify considering the juggling outfielder as now an infielder, get him for an intentional drop thereby preventing a cheap DP.

And, please tell, how would you justify it?

dash_riprock Mon May 31, 2010 06:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehair (Post 679253)

Don't need to. An intentional juggle would constitute a voluntary release - substantive proof of a catch..

asdf Mon May 31, 2010 10:27am

How about we use a little common sense and understand that this would be nothing more than an attempt to (contrary to why rules are created) put one team at an unreasonable disadvantage.

If I am working this game, the ball is dead and I am placing runners where they need to be placed...

R3 scores, R1 & R2 stay put, BR is out.

Let 'em protest......

dash_riprock Mon May 31, 2010 10:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 679345)
If I am working this game, the ball is dead...

No reason to kill the ball.

mbyron Mon May 31, 2010 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdf (Post 679345)
How about we use a little common sense...

In my experience, what follows this expression is some umpire's idea of how to resolve a situation when he doesn't know the rules.

Your post is consistent with my experience.

bluehair Mon May 31, 2010 07:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag (Post 679320)
And, please tell, how would you justify it?

If he was juggling the ball while moving towards the infield, he could be considered "a fielder who occupies a position in the infield" (the definition of an infielder). Actually I like Dash's remedy better. Either way we're taking slight liberties with the rules to prevent cheating.

asdf Mon May 31, 2010 08:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 679349)
In my experience, what follows this expression is some umpire's idea of how to resolve a situation when he doesn't know the rules.

My experience tells me that this is an intentional act that circumvents the intent of the rules by creating an unfair advantage to one team.

I don't need this printed in black and white to understand this.

No protest board worth their salt would uphold this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dash_riprock (Post 679346)
No reason to kill the ball.

While killing the ball may prevent a ball being subsequently thrown out of play and basees being awarded, it also prevents the double or triple play previously mentioned.

Instead of sending runners back or taking runs/outs off the board, you take control this situation before anything else goofy can take ocurr.

umpduck11 Mon May 31, 2010 09:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbyron (Post 679349)

Something involving invoking 9:01C, usually.... :rolleyes:

yawetag Mon May 31, 2010 11:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluehair (Post 679395)
If he was juggling the ball while moving towards the infield, he could be considered "a fielder who occupies a position in the infield" (the definition of an infielder).

When he throws to a base and throws it out of play, how many bases are you awarding?