The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 01:29pm
In Time Out

Another Balk?

I saw this one in an A's/Rangers game last week.

Situation: R3 only and pitcher in the set position on the rubber. LHB, so F5 is playing a good distance from the bag. Ian Kinsler (R3) gets a good lead and starts like he is going to take off for home. Gio Gonzalez (F1) steps back off the rubber and makes what is very wild throw towards home that F2 doesn't even have a chance to catch. I'm sure he was trying to throw the ball so that F2 would have a chance on a play at the plate. Yep you guessed it, a balk was called by U1, our very own "Balk A Day" Bob Davidson. My guess was that he would have called the balk for simulating a pitch.

However, it looked to me as if Gonzalez just stepped off and was making what would have been a quick normal throw to retire a runner, abliet wildly. Just because Kinsler retreated back to 3B, I don't see any issue why a balk was called.

Did "Balk A Day" get it wrong, or am I missing something here? If the pitcher disengages the rubber first, can't he just throw it anywhere? It didn't really matter since Kinsler would have scored on the wild throw anyway.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

Situation: R3 only and pitcher in the set position on the rubber. LHB, so F5 is playing a good distance from the bag. Ian Kinsler (R3) gets a good lead and starts like he is going to take off for home. Gio Gonzalez (F1) steps back off the rubber and makes what is very wild throw towards home that F2 doesn't even have a chance to catch. I'm sure he was trying to throw the ball so that F2 would have a chance on a play at the plate. Yep you guessed it, a balk was called by U1, our very own "Balk A Day" Bob Davidson. My guess was that he would have called the balk for simulating a pitch.

However, it looked to me as if Gonzalez just stepped off and was making what would have been a quick normal throw to retire a runner, abliet wildly. Just because Kinsler retreated back to 3B, I don't see any issue why a balk was called.

Did "Balk A Day" get it wrong, or am I missing something here? If the pitcher disengages the rubber first, can't he just throw it anywhere? It didn't really matter since Kinsler would have scored on the wild throw anyway.
I was watching it and I feel like Davidson might have gotten him on buckling his right knee. I sure as hell couldnt tell for sure though.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

Throwing to an unoccupied base. Because the attempt was a feint it is not considered a play.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Throwing to an unoccupied base. Because the attempt was a feint it is not considered a play.
Or, throwing a pitch, not from the rubber. Granted, I have not seen it so don't know.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:04pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Looks like MLB changed their site...it's looking like it's tougher to search for these plays. Bummer. Anybody else having better luck?
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:19pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Here's the video clip...finally found it.

Pretty clearly shows that he started his pitching motion, then stepped off and threw home. First few angles are not very good...watch until the end.

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | OAK@TEX: Kinsler scores on an Oakland balk - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

That is clearly a balk. He started his windup and then stepped off. I can't figure out why the PU signaled something intangible

-Josh
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm21711 View Post
I was watching it and I feel like Davidson might have gotten him on buckling his right knee. I sure as hell couldnt tell for sure though.
My apologies....my response was for the balk Davidson called this afternoon in the Twins-Yankees game.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Or, throwing a pitch, not from the rubber. Granted, I have not seen it so don't know.
WHen Ellsbury stole home on Pettitte last year Pettitte just stepped back and then threw home. No balk. Too late on the throw.
Old Sun May 16, 2010, 10:34pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Spammer be gone

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon May 17, 2010 at 08:10am.
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 06:28am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post

The pitcher was in the Windup Position, not the Set Position. Once he started his motion, he had to continue with the pitch. He cannot step off and throw at this point. The balk call was correct. Either way, by balk or wild pitch, that run is going to score anyway.

What I thought was typically bush was the announcer claiming that the Rangers had been "victimized" lately by overruled umpire calls. Poor Rangers.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08 View Post
Spammer be gone
Please do not respond / post / quote the spam, nor "report" it.

Responses just encourage the postings and reports just clog up my in-box (if I miss something for a day or so, then report it).

And, to be clear, even though I'm quoting johnnyg08, I'm not directing this only at him.

Thanks
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
That is clearly a balk. He started his windup and then stepped off. I can't figure out why the PU signaled something intangible

-Josh
That, and why the need for the umpires to get together on this?
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
I wish I knew the answer. Maybe they were figuring out who was buying the first round

-Josh
Old Mon May 17, 2010, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoBits View Post
The only thing I can figure is what the call is and who is calling it. A balk or a wild pitch? And, possibly the count?

What was Tschida's motion of throwing up his hands? Is that a mechanic or what? And, I am legitimately asking. No smilies here.