The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Would you eject, #2? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/58095-would-you-eject-2-a.html)

scarolinablue Wed May 12, 2010 08:02pm

Would you eject, #2?

FED rules, playoff game. Neighboring association covered this, not that it matters - just making it clear I wasn't in the video! Two rival schools, though, and likely an intense game. Look at the video around 0:35 in - I think it's a botched squeeze play. It appears the runner lowered his body for the contact, not just the shoulder, but the catcher was set up pretty low also. I've almost convinced myself I would not have ejected the runner, just a good hard baseball play - and that's with the benefit of replaying it over and over. However, I might have EJ'd in real time - HTBT. What do you think?

I did sort of like the catcher showing the ball to the runner, but also know that could easily escalate into something bigger.

Weekend Playoffs: Baseball, Softball - Video - WYFF Greenville

mbyron Wed May 12, 2010 08:21pm

Absolutely MC. No slide, no attempt to avoid F2. Gotta go.

newera21 Wed May 12, 2010 08:22pm

I wouldn't even have to think about this one-- definitely an ejection.

Matt Wed May 12, 2010 08:34pm

Ditto.

jicecone Wed May 12, 2010 08:48pm

I agree , HTBT BUT, from where I am right now, the runner went through the catcher to get to HP.

I have to agree with the majority here. See ya.

DG Wed May 12, 2010 09:01pm

Instantaneous ejection for MC. Last time this happened the 3b coach came down and said I did that pretty fast and I said I couldn't have done it fast enough.

scarolinablue Wed May 12, 2010 09:28pm

I think I got it...definite EJ on this one under FED. Suppose 1) we don't usually see this type of play in FED ball around here and 2) we sometimes see it in Legion and play on. Need to tighten up a bit on my MC - I see where you can't run through the catcher as badly as this in FED. Most of the MC calls I've made in FED are of the throwing arms out into a fielder and are really obvious - plays like this my first instinct is "he is not required to slide and that's just a good hard play." But, in FED, it's more and it's MC. Got it.

David B Wed May 12, 2010 10:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scarolinablue (Post 676629)
I think I got it...definite EJ on this one under FED. Suppose 1) we don't usually see this type of play in FED ball around here and 2) we sometimes see it in Legion and play on. Need to tighten up a bit on my MC - I see where you can't run through the catcher as badly as this in FED. Most of the MC calls I've made in FED are of the throwing arms out into a fielder and are really obvious - plays like this my first instinct is "he is not required to slide and that's just a good hard play." But, in FED, it's more and it's MC. Got it.

Basically fielder has the ball, the runner has to avoid the contact. He can slide or try to go around, but never through.

scarolinablue Wed May 12, 2010 10:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 676637)
Basically fielder has the ball, the runner has to avoid the contact. He can slide or try to go around, but never through.

Agreed. Typically, when the fielder is holding the ball, they'll try to get in a pickle, slide, or run around (which usually results in the out of baseline out)...never usually the sitch in the video.

Welpe Wed May 12, 2010 11:08pm

Oh yeah. That's an easy one. Gone.

JRutledge Wed May 12, 2010 11:19pm

This is an easy ejection.

Peace

biggravy Thu May 13, 2010 01:01am

Gone.

Hate the white shirts.

On the play before the collision, lol at the PU doing the reverse cha cha all the way back from 3B and I sure didn't see him see the runner touch the plate.

SanDiegoSteve Thu May 13, 2010 01:32am

Not only is this an ejection in FED games, it would be an ejection in most amateur adult leagues as well. In the OBR-based adult league I work, they use the NCAA FPSR for force plays and a "No Collision" (umpire judgment applies) rule that is strictly enforced by the umpires.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu May 13, 2010 05:03am

This definitely a MC ejection per NFHS rules.

Monday night MTD, Jr., had a boys' 12U travel league game that uses NFHS rules and had a 12 year old pull a Pete Rose on Ray Fosse play. The player's coach was none to happy about the ejection.

MTD, Sr.

bob jenkins Thu May 13, 2010 07:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by David B (Post 676637)

1) The video wouldn't load for me, so I didn't see the specific play.

2) While David's statement is correct, it doesn't mean that the only call for "going through" is MC. MC requires "intent to injure." You could also have plain old, garden variety interference here. (Runner is out, but not ejected).

3) Based on the other comments, the MC (and not just interference) is the correct call in the play presented, but let's not always jump to that conclusion.