The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

I would like to know if a runner on base, during a pitchers delivery, including windup, makes an attempt to disrupt the pitcher by either whistling, clapping, jumping around should this be considered offensive interferance under rule 2.00. Should this be called interferance, is the batter out. I do not think this is proper baseball edicate but some coaches allow this to happen. Am I just to sensitive? Of course old school baseball the runner performing these actions should be careful next time at the plate.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I would like to know if a runner on base, during a pitchers delivery, including windup, makes an attempt to disrupt the pitcher by either whistling, clapping, jumping around should this be considered offensive interferance under rule 2.00. Should this be called interferance, is the batter out. I do not think this is proper baseball edicate but some coaches allow this to happen. Am I just to sensitive? Of course old school baseball the runner performing these actions should be careful next time at the plate.
Lower levels (HS and under): Tell the runner to stop it. IF the coach asks why, tell him to look up 4.06(a)(3).

College and above: After the batter gets hit, he'll tell the runner to stop it himself.
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:05pm
Official Forum Member

the clapping is ok, if you tell the runner he can't clap
are you going to tell f-4 and f-6 they can't slap their gloves behind a runner on second ? the whistle well thats
a don't do that in my book.

Now the jumping, if F-1 is smart enough to catch him just starting to jump on a pick-off, well we might just have an out here, how are you going to tell a coach he was jumping when the coach replies he was hopping to get a lead and you don't approve of jumping, thats one Big nasal oyster to take a bite out of,

mac

[Edited by MAC on Sep 16th, 2002 at 06:12 PM]
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:14pm
Official Forum Member

Well MAC

It matters what level -- NCAA, NAIA and above DO NOT have verbal interference.

You can't just make up a rule to fit your personal need, right?

FED down you can stop it by rule. See Jenkins post.

Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:20pm
Official Forum Member

Tim c your right, and that fast ball that was up an in is
just ok by me too, the higher the level the less you see
of this crap, coach the pitch was inside it just rose so quickly it was an accident I am sure LOL
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Re-the jumping around should have been better describes as dancing around. The player was definately trying to disrupt the pitcher. Obstruction???
Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

re: "Obstruction???"
Nope!!!!!
But that verbal interference might get them jacked if they keep it up. That is if the batter doesn't get plunked first.
Personally I think that any pitcher that is worth their salt will just throw a bit high and inside, and take the called strike ;-)
Now when that offensive coach comes out belly-aching, you might advise them to have a chat with their players about their crap before you have to toss them; and him, as well.....

Old Mon Sep 16, 2002, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MAC
the clapping is ok, if you tell the runner he can't clap
are you going to tell f-4 and f-6 they can't slap their gloves behind a runner on second ?
[Edited by MAC on Sep 16th, 2002 at 06:12 PM]
The defense might be doing it to signal a play. It's legal.

The offense is doing it only to "distract." That's illegal.

Calling / enforcing it depends on the level.

I'll also point out that you don't need to make a big deal of it to get it to stop. You don't need to yell, "TIME!" take off your mask, walk half-way out to the runner and state, "You -- runner -- stop that clapping right now or this will be the last time you play in this game."

Better -- ask the batter for the first name of the runner. Keep the mask on and yell, "Tim" (or whatever) to get his attention -- it only need be loud enough for him to hear. THen, when he looks, shake your head "no" and give a little clapping motion -- you can even just use yur wrists.

He'll know what you mean, and many won't know that you've done anything.