The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   a first- need ruling on this one (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57979-first-need-ruling-one.html)

biggravy Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:17pm

a first- need ruling on this one
 
I can't find it but I'm not done looking.

JV game (where I get to refresh all the obscure rules). 0 out. 0-1 count. R1 breaks for 2B when F1 comes set. F2 seeing the runner break stands up and just as F1 is delivering F2 pulls his mask off. He catches the pitch despite a bunt attempt and luckily does not get his face broken. He did not interfere with the batter, just managed to catch the pitch in his glove while holding his mask in his throwing hand. Any rules violated?

justanotherblue Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:43pm

If he didn't reach across the plate to catch it and as you said, didn't interfere...nope.. just another kid that shouldn't be behind the plate.

UmpTTS43 Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:00am

If he caught the pitch with his mask, it is a detached equipment violation, base runners awarded one base from time of infraction.

Matt Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpTTS43 (Post 675062)
If he caught the pitch with his mask, it is a detached equipment violation, base runners awarded one base from time of infraction.

2 in FED, but that's not what happened in the OP. Don't feel bad; I read it the same way the first time due to the construction of the second-to-last sentence.

mbyron Wed Apr 28, 2010 06:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 675065)
2 in FED, but that's not what happened in the OP. Don't feel bad; I read it the same way the first time due to the construction of the second-to-last sentence.

Agree with the grammar point. Had to look up the rule difference -- thanks for that! 8-3-3c is the reference.

biggravy Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 675065)
2 in FED, but that's not what happened in the OP. Don't feel bad; I read it the same way the first time due to the construction of the second-to-last sentence.

Fix't. :o

ozzy6900 Wed Apr 28, 2010 01:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 675055)
I can't find it but I'm not done looking.

JV game (where I get to refresh all the obscure rules). 0 out. 0-1 count. R1 breaks for 2B when F1 comes set. F2 seeing the runner break stands up and just as F1 is delivering F2 pulls his mask off. He catches the pitch despite a bunt attempt and luckily does not get his face broken. He did not interfere with the batter, just managed to catch the pitch in his glove while holding his mask in his throwing hand. Any rules violated?

I don't see any violation but it could have been lights out for F2. Pretty stupid move on his part, if you ask me.

The trick here is:
  • Watch for F2 reaching out over the plate. Don't allow this for a moment.
  • Watch for F2 touching the batter in any way.
  • Watch for for a catch with detached equipment.
  • And if F2 is doing everything right, you have to make sure that the batter doesn't interfere with F2's throw to 2nd.
It's a lot to watch for but you have no choice.

Ump29 Wed Apr 28, 2010 07:10pm

Do not have FED in my area but if this happened in a game in Canada, there would be grounds for ejection or at least a warning.

UmpJM Wed Apr 28, 2010 07:18pm

biggravy,

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggravy (Post 675055)
... Any rules violated?

Survival of the fittest/natural selection/karma... .

JM

UmpTTS43 Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:00am

Doh!! Thanks Matt

yawetag Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ozzy6900 (Post 675101)
  • Watch for for a catch with detached equipment.

Of the list, this one you may never see.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:55am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1