The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Sep 14, 2002, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

This is an invitation letter I sent out a couple days ago.

MIDWEST UMPIRE CLINIC

“Making Umpires Better Umpires”
PO Box 4108
Jackson, MI 49204

September 05, 2002

To Whom It May Concern:

We are writing to invite you, your association, and its members to the Midwest Umpire Clinic. This year’s clinic will feature 26 year MLB veteran and Crew Chief, Mike Reilly. Many other observers and guest speakers are also scheduled to attend, including Dick Honig from Honig’s Whistle Stop, Albion College baseball coach, Jim Conway, and Randy Allen, Director of Baseball for the MHSAA. Our staff is comprised of several amateur and professional umpires from around the Midwest, including instructors from BOTH professional schools.

Our clinic’s curriculum includes instruction on three levels of baseball: NFHS, NCAA, and the OBR. Extensive classroom study, instruction on both plate and base mechanics, and videotaped cage work are just some of the basics that we offer. The material packets that we provide are uniquely designed and created by our staff. They include a Rules Review Sheet, clinic Discussion Packet(s), and a Two-Man (mechanics) Dissertation.

What makes our clinic special is the amount of “extras” you receive at no additional expense. Included in your $180.00 registration is all of your materials, 3 days of instruction, your hotel room, catered lunches everyday, and a banquet (meal included) that you can bring your friends and family to, and much, much more.

We are approved by the MHSAA and they will be on hand to register umpires for the upcoming season. In addition, we will provide a list of participating umpires to Mr. George Spelius. Mr. Spelius is the current president of the Midwest League (class A). He is always looking for good umpires from the Midwest for fill-ins. Many of us have worked for him, and he knows that our students will be the most qualified umpires for fill-in opportunities.

Won’t you join us? Registration begins at 8 a.m. on Friday, February 14, and we will conclude on the evening of Sunday the 16. We offer multi-registration and association discounts, but slots are limited so don’t delay. You can find more information at http://www.umpiring.org. You may request a brochure(s) by e-mailing [email protected]. We hope to see you in February.

Sincerely Yours,

The Midwest Umpire Clinic Staff

[Edited by midwestump on Sep 24th, 2002 at 02:56 PM]
Old Thu Sep 19, 2002, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Jim, with all due respect, have you ever been to an umpire clinic? This is a three day clinic for $180. What do you expect for accomodations? Sure, guys could drive 30 or 20 or even 10 miles away to stay at a nicer hotel. But part of the whole experience is hanging out together at night and having a chance to socialize. The benefits of staying with the group will outweigh the inconveniences of a budget hotel.
Old Tue Sep 24, 2002, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

As Jim stated, the clinic is being held in Albion, MI. Most of the time spent during the w/e will be at the college campus. Both our classroom and mechanics facilities are located there. The Days Inn hotel that was refered to is not the Hilton or Hyatt, but it has been recently renovated. For the cost of the clinic, which includes the hotel, it should be considered a great deal. You will not find a better clinic at this value, anywhere. The town of Albion is not an extremely active place, but there are some excellent local restaurants and a movie theater that we have set up clinic "deals" with. If you attend though, most of your time will be filled with clinic activities. If you check out our site you'll find that the clinic schedule is jammed packed. Hope to see some of you there! Write us for multi-registration and association discounts.

Sincerely,

The Midwest Umpire Clinic Staff
http://www.umpiring.org
Old Wed Oct 16, 2002, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Clinic Website

The clinic'c website is having some server difficulties, but will be up and running again in a couple days.
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Question Phone number for Midwest Umpire Clinic

I am very much interested in the Midwest Umpire Clinic. Could someone please send me a telephone number where I could speak to someone about it? Thanks and God bless!

Pastor Charlie
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Question Where else?

Anyone aware of other locations for similar camps/clinics that are farther west. I live in Idaho Falls, Idaho and the potential locations I would be immediately interested in are:

Boise, Idaho
Salt Lake City, Utah

More distant that might be a possibility for me are:
Spokane, Washinton
Portland, Oregon
Denver
Reno
Las Vegas
(These would need to have potential for minor league or NCAA assignments because a 10-15 hour drive for a camp is rather significant.)
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

DownTownTonyBrown,

I just read on another web-site for umpiring that sometime next year (wasn't specific) the NBUA (Northwest Baseball Umpire's Association) will have a clinic in Seattle, Washington. It said to check out their web-site but didn't give an address. Hope this helps.

God bless!

Pastor Charlie
Old Tue Oct 29, 2002, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Phone number

Paster Charlie,

E-mail me: [email protected]
I'll send it to you.

Old Tue Nov 05, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

I requested a brochure for the clinic off the website about a month ago and haven't recieved anything in the mail. I was wondering if it was on it's way or if it was lost in the mail.