The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 09, 2010, 07:13pm
Official Forum Member

Reggie Jackson/Bob Gibson Interview

Listened to a NPR program tonight, an interview with Reggie Jackson and Bob Gibson, I found it to be very interesting, especially Bob talking about pitchers intentionally throwing at batters. Here is the link:

Reggie Jackson And Bob Gibson Talk Baseball : NPR
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 01:14am
Official Forum Member

That's the way baseball use to be. Just like it use to be you either made the team or you didn't. Now days, in the black and blue, everyone makes the team. Just isn't right. Gibson is right, there are times it's right to throw at a batter, now days, it's not accepted. You beat a pitchers best pitch and gloat, standing at the plate, in my day, you bet your ***, the next batter is getting hit. Today, were supposed to eject. Just isn't right. It's a matter of respect. And standing at the plate gloating, is bull. I'll never eject for that as long as he didn't head hunt. When the coach complains, I'll give my warning, then tell the batter to thank his team mate for the bruise.
Old Sat Apr 10, 2010, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherblue View Post
You beat a pitchers best pitch and gloat, standing at the plate, in my day, you bet your ***, the next batter is getting hit. Today, we're supposed to eject.
Pro ball still permits a pitcher to bean a gloater in his next at bat without ejection. Amateur ball does not, and AFAIK never has.

I don't know to whom you refer by "we," but most folks here umpire only amateur ball. It's worth keeping the levels distinct.