The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 08:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
TO ANY AND ALL ...

I'm seaching for the most comprehensive book that covers the language of baseball / jargon and the origins of these words and phrases. Is there anyone who has come accross publications that are thorough, when dealing with baseball's language? I am specifically interested in the origins of these most unique words and the stories / histories involved.

I've done a little bit of surfing, but cannot find a quality publication on this subject.

Any and all suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Old Thu Sep 12, 2002, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

I have a book called "The Dickson Baseball Dictionary."
It is edited by Paul Dickson, published by Facts On File (1989). I don't know if it has been updated, but it is full of baseball terms and cites their origins, if known. The editor is an author and specializes in language. I find it very interesting. Good luck in your search.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2002, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

One of the most interesting origins is that of the word umpire itself. It derives from an erroneous misdivision of the Middle English 'noumpere' (not equal). I guess people would say, "a noumpere," and others thought they were saying, "an oumpere," the way my high school students used to write, "That's a whole nother situation." So the term "oumpere" stuck.

In another misdivision, one of my ninth-graders pronounced the word "yemp," as in "the yemp missed the call, but a whole nother yemp changed it."

I'm going to get ahold of that book, Marty. I keep forgetting where terms like "southpaw" and "bull pen" came from. I assume the book also covers the phrases that have crept from baseball into everyday use: "couldn't get to first base," "out in left field," "step up to the plate," and so forth.

When I was doing writing and communications training for some large companies, some activists were claiming that women were at a communications disadvantage on the job because men expressed themselves through sports analogies that women were not familiar with. So I made up a list of expressions that derive from sports, and we went over them in class. Funny how some people knew exactly what they meant and others had no idea.

[Edited by greymule on Sep 13th, 2002 at 02:47 PM]
Old Fri Sep 13, 2002, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
MARTY - GREYMULE

Thanks for the info Marty. My research yesterday did indicate that Paul Dickson (Harcourt Press) has produced a newer version (Jan 99) of the book you referenced in your reply to my thread. Thanks for putting me in touch with this publication.

When I went to the Barnes and Noble website it provided additional links as well to other publications that deal with this subject matter. BTW "The New Dickson Basebaall Dictionary" is listed at $20. retail.

I'm off to buy a copy today. I presumed that you would not be willing to just send me your copy. Also I discovered that you can find used copies (paperback) of the original publication (1989) for as little as $6.00. What a deal. Thanks again for the help. I know my colleague / friend is really going to be thrilled, it's a 'thank you' gift.
Old Fri Sep 13, 2002, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Greymule,

The term "southpaw" comes from the fact that many, if not all, diamonds (while standing at home plate facing the outfield) face the general direction of east. When a lefthander is standing on the mound his left arm faces south. The term actually originated in the sport of boxing, with similar meanings.
Also, the term "can of corn" comes from the former Kurt Warner occupation of shelf stocker. While wearing the white apron around their waist, they would knock down cans from the top shelves with a stick and catch them in their outstretched aprons thus allowing for an easy catch.
Old Sun Sep 15, 2002, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks, spots101. I had heard about "southpaw," but I thought it was because a lefty's pitch came from the south, which didn't seem to make sense. Pitching shoulder facing south sounds more like it. Never knew the origin of "can of corn."
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

"can of corn"

Spots101:

Thank you. I've been looking for the meaning of "can of corn" for some time. Do you have a source for that?
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 02:08am
Official Forum Member

Shp42,

I remember reading the "can of corn" definition a long time ago but for the life of me I have no clue where. Sorry.

Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

"Can of Corn" comes from the old small local grocery stores where they had all the can goods lined up on the top shelves.

To get the can down the grocer would use a long stick to tip it off the shelf and then catch it. I guess they sold a lot of corn in those days. G.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 03:13am
Official Forum Member

Hey Gee,

Read 4 replies up from yours.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, didn't see it. G.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

They used corn instead of something else because most of the fields in those days were made in old cornfields.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down Can of Corn

I think some of the above replies are only partially correct. My grandmother owned an old grocery story so I can attest that cans were NOT stacked on shelves above head level. Actually, the boxes of Kotex, rolls of toilet tissue, and mop heads were placed overhead; soft goods. The cans of vegetables and boxes of laundry detergent and baking soda were lined up on shelves behind the cash register counter. If someone wanted a can of corn, for instance, "Bushia" (what we called our grandmother) would take it off the shelf behind her and gently toss it to the customer . . . not unlike how the peanut vendors toss their stuff at the ball park. The stick that others refer to, was actually a hook at the end of the stick, used to grab the soft goods that were on the upper shelves.

The phrase, "He caught that can of corn" was first used by announcer Red Barber . . . and referred to a softly hit line drive or short toss to a fielder. Picture an underhanded toss from F6 to F4 on a double play . . . that's a "can of corn".

Farmer Jerry
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Jerry:

In the 50's, shortly after my dad died we lived above a mom and pop neighborhood grocery in Rochester, New York. (Reruns of Dobie Gillis bring back great memories)

In this particular grocery, the excess cans WERE placed high on the upper shelves and while there were ladders meant to be used to get them down, (no forklifts in those aisles), the stock boy usually just used the stick and caught them to the applause of several six year olds. I doubt he invented it.

Yes there were other items up there as well. When I was lucky, the owner would let me use the the big stick with the claw thingie to grab Kleenex, cereal and other boxed items that I could handle.

I miss those stores. The "super" market experience isn't the same. And today's version of mom and pop groceries, the 7-11 just isn't the same.

Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

"Can of Corn" was (is) a baseball term used since the 1920's. Red Barber's announcing career began in 1934.
It has always meant (only) a high fly batted ball easily caught by the fielder.