The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Procedure and penalty (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/5743-procedure-penalty.html)

harmbu Fri Sep 06, 2002 12:32pm

This happened in a high school (fed) game last night. The visiting team had only 11 players on their roster. In the fourth inning, they put their two substitutes into the game. In the sixth inning the catcher reached base for the visiting team. The coach called timeout and said that he had a courtesy runner. The runner took first base. Not only had the two players on the bench already played in the game, but the courtesy runner that the coach chose was a player who was already in the game (the second baseman). We called time out and pointed this out to the umpire. He told the coach that he could not use the courtesy runner.

Now my question is: Should there have been a penatly to the visiting team for attempting this? If so, when should the home team have brought it to the umpire's attention so that the penalty would have been enforced?

PeteBooth Fri Sep 06, 2002 02:18pm

<i> Originally posted by harmbu [/i]

<b> This happened in a high school (fed) game last night. The visiting team had only 11 players on their roster. In the fourth inning, they put their two substitutes into the game. In the sixth inning the catcher reached base for the visiting team. The coach called timeout and said that he had a courtesy runner. The runner took first base. Not only had the two players on the bench already played in the game, but the courtesy runner that the coach chose was a player who was already in the game (the second baseman). We called time out and pointed this out to the umpire. He told the coach that he could not use the courtesy runner.

Now my question is: Should there have been a penatly to the visiting team for attempting this? If so, when should the home team have brought it to the umpire's attention so that the penalty would have been enforced? </b>

There is a Penalty:

FED rule 2-36-3

An illegal substitute is:

A. A player who enters or re-enters the game without eligability to do so or

B. A player who re-enters the game in the wrong position in the batting order or

C. Enters the game on defense while the player for whom he is batting is on defense or

D. When the player for whom the DH is batting enters the game as a batter or runner in a different position in the batting order or,

E. <b> A player who violates the CR rule </b>

FED rule 3-1-1

For discovery of an illegal player (2-36-3) by an umpire or either team, that player shall be ejected.

An illegal player on offense, whether as a batter or runner, shall be called out immediately and ejected upon discovery by an umpire or either team.

Pete Booth

Roger Greene Fri Sep 06, 2002 07:14pm

Of course, the illegal CR is not officially in the game until he takes his place on the base,and the umpire declares the ball live. (see the note at the end of the rule)

So, If you pointed out the infraction before the ball was declared live, there is no penalty. If you waited until the ball was put back in play, and then had your pitcher remove himself from the rubber so you could request time, then the penalty should have been invoked.

Roger Greene

bluezebra Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:34pm

I agree with Roger. It's the same as appealing a BOO while the batter is still in the batter's box. Rectify the situation. No penalty. "Play ball".

Bob