The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question New Ump - Wilson Gold FX Shock Helmet??

I'm a new ump and will be doing lower level HS in the spring and travel baseball this summer. I can pick up a Wilson Gold FX Shock Helmet for about $70. Is this a good helmet to start with?
Old Wed Mar 03, 2010, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

At $70, it's probably the catcher's model, which has a heavier steel cage. The helmet is also probably the first generation model, which had its problems with durability.
Old Thu Mar 04, 2010, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kheisner View Post
I'm a new ump and will be doing lower level HS in the spring and travel baseball this summer. I can pick up a Wilson Gold FX Shock Helmet for about $70. Is this a good helmet to start with?
Here it is for $50: Pro Shock FX Catchers helmet

I have the titanium umpire helmet and I bought this as a backup since the cages are interchangeable. This catchers helmet is exactly the same as my $225 umpires helmet measurement wise and in looks, with the only difference (as Kevin mentioned) is the steel cage. When weighed, the catchers helmet is about ~0.2lbs heavier than my titanium version.

Forgot to add, the chin pad and forehead pad for the catchers helmet is made of the "cool flow" material instead of leather like my FX Umpire helmet. You can purchase the leather replacement pads for $30-$40 if that's a problem.