The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   won't be the last (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/57231-wont-last.html)

lawump Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:43pm

won't be the last

Long-time umpire Montague hangs up the mask - Chicago Breaking Sports

This won't be the last, IMO. With the new collective bargaining agreement that gives a much larger financial incentive for veterans to retire, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this won't be the last this year. Just a guess...no inside information on this.

I guess I get a little excited because my former colleagues and classmates are now near the top of the list for promotion. It'll be cool to see what happens.

MrUmpire Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump (Post 663104)

This won't be the last, IMO. With the new collective bargaining agreement that gives a much larger financial incentive for veterans to retire, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this won't be the last this year. Just a guess...no inside information on this.

I guess I get a little excited because my former colleagues and classmates are now near the top of the list for promotion. It'll be cool to see what happens.

One...

mrm21711 Fri Feb 19, 2010 01:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawump (Post 663104)

I heard there were a few guys considering retiring this year. Apparently, yesterday (February 18) was the last day for them to decide whether to take retirement under the new agreement.

johnSandlin Fri Feb 19, 2010 01:20pm

I would say Drake or Hoye get the first shot.

Rich Fri Feb 19, 2010 01:53pm

Has Montague ever been involved in anything really controversial? 34 years, the last 14 as a crew chief. And the last guy to wear the penis-hat beanie.

MrUmpire Fri Feb 19, 2010 01:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnSandlin (Post 663122)
I would say Drake or Hoye get the first shot.

Drake showed humility and that he could take re-direction last year. I believe it salvaged his career after some issues threatened it in 2008. It put him back in the good graces of those in charge and probably in the number one slot.

Although rumors persist that AJ is two or three, there are those at the ML level who believe some performance issues last year as a call-up killed his chances for this year.

Hoye is a possibility for number two.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see two more retirements. It could depend on the final wording of the buy-out clause intended to help (encourgage?) some older umpires retire.

SethPDX Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:04am

I always liked watching Ed work. Best wishes for a happy retirement to him.

lawump Sat Mar 06, 2010 08:57pm

I said it wouldn't be the last.

Misplays force shakeup of umpire supervisors - ESPN

Bye-bye Randy Marsh and Charlie Reliford...we hardly knew thee.

FredFan7 Sat Mar 06, 2010 09:23pm

I hear that Rick Reed also retired.

MrUmpire Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08pm

...two, three, four...

FredFan7 Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:12pm

New crew chiefs: Kellogg, Layne, Gorman, Hallion.

ManInBlue Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:44am

So close...

The story was going along so well, but then..."McClelland also missed a double play..." I remember both runners standing on 3rd - wouldn't have been a double play. If memory serves correctly, he called the wrong runner out, but he did not miss a double play. Correct me if my memory has failed me.

Rich Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:59am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 666790)
The story was going along so well, but then..."McClelland also missed a double play..." I remember both runners standing on 3rd - wouldn't have been a double play. If memory serves correctly, he called the wrong runner out, but he did not miss a double play. Correct me if my memory has failed me.

Both runners were tagged off the base in the brief confusion.

Dakota Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManInBlue (Post 666790)

Both runners were tagged off the base.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos...opo-topper.jpg

Kevin Finnerty Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:49am

It was the single worst high-profile missed call of my lifetime. Denkinger's was pretty bad for a couple of reasons, but this one was extreme.

There are plenty of young umpires waiting for a shot. You had a great career, to a point. And your pension plan's out of this world. What do you say, Tim?