The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

The Internet - Has it "Run the Gambit"

The 2 most recent threads on this Forum have prompted me for my latest thread. Peter's thread on "Balk during a dead Ball" and "carrying a rule book on the Field of Play"

On the surface one would think that the aforementioned threads would receive "some action" but not the plethora of responses they received. Peter's thread if not a record is right up there. In addition someone posted his thread on another Board and again a plethora of responses.

Then we have the threads called "Wierd Plays" better known as "Third World" and again a "ton of action" on those threads. We have a better chance of hitting lotto then encountering some of these plays on the playing field.

What does all this mean? IMO, it means that the internet has become or always has been as Peter commonly says a form of entertainment rather than a learning place etc. Even if individuals don't post, it "tweeks their fancy" because in addition to the responses look at the "views".

I found the internet Umpires Message Boards by accident. I was surfing the net looking to upgrade my equipment and find the best buy out there. My first Message board was called TeamDiscovery better known today as eTeamz.

I visited McGriffths but never posted there. I basically stick to three message Boards - This one, eTeamz and the URC.

IMO, although it will probably not happen it would be nice to have 1 all Encompassing message Board with a list of "Experts" in which to learn from, a list of Umpire clinics, Equipment purchases and also a discussion section as one can only talk about the concept of "last time by" for so long. Also, if you don't want to use your name then we don't want you.

I enjoy the URC, because I value Jon Bible's commentary although he rarely posts anymore. I don't like the "ANON" Posts. It's one thing to "bash" someone but not have the guts to sign your name is another.

Also, I know Carl has been busy writing another book and his UIC duties, but it appears that he will not be as directly involved with the Boards as he once was. I don't know where Bob Pariseau went as he also used to be a regular as well and I enjoyed his commentary.

So what do you think the future of the Message Boards holds? Do you think it will get "so low" and eventually we will have Ciber Umpire?

If you could design YOUR OWN message Board how would you run it or how would you like it to function? Also, things would probably be different if we were "mono on mono" or Live and in Person.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Aug 28, 2002, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Are you describing an illness

mono on mono: "Kissing" disease twice?

mano a mano: hand by(to) hand

el hombre al hombre: man to man

Vivo y en la persona: Live and in person

El tipo sabio: GB
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 03:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Pete -

To quote a very old group of rockers "You can't always get what you want, but if you try, somehow, you may find, you'll get what you need."

Asking for feedback, in the very best sense, speaks volumes about being a considerate person. I thank you and others for that. I have a certain dislike for some who are always "TELLING," not sharing, information. Those who care about others, care about what others think. They value other peoples opinions because it matters and it does make a difference. Knowledge abounds everywhere, even on internet forum boards. Anyone who refuses to listen to the comments of others is probably self-centered and suffers from a superiority complex; an unfortunate social illness. The exchanging of ideas (opinions) has always been a primary ingredient in the progress achieved throughout the civlized world.

Some days we are the student, some days the teacher. Each of us are more knowledgeable and skilled in someway than most everyone else. We should always share our best talents with those who desire to gain from our knowledge. Likewise, if one wants to grow as a person, we must also reverse that role and finds ways, each day, to learn from others. I think that's available here.

While many have said that the only constant in life is change, we must remember that the sea of knowledge expands exponentially with age. There is always something to learn each day and I think that the internet, while not a panacea for all things, is a wonderful arena filled with opportunities to learn and grow. Isn't some of it garbage? Of course, there's refuse everywhere. Anyone who visits 'message boards' regularly knows that. But the real issue is that the internet has opened the "door of knowledge" to so many people who have not had access to such resourses in the past. It's the classroom of the future.

Yes, it would be nice to be able to validate opinions, particularly those that appear to be authoritative in response. Anonimity of authorship almost always invalidates what follows. While some individuals will always find ways to infilltrate and 'stink up the place,' for the most part they are a minority. The true measure of character and citizenship is for a person to stand behind his/her words. Most threads that I've read seem to do that. I remember well my father saying to me long ago, "son believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see, and you'll not over estimate the truth." A certain reasonablness and balance must always be present, after all, listening as well as reading is a skill.

Peter is right, a large part of every forum, is entertainment. I've sat in the balcony of the U. S. Senate listening to our great statemen at work. I walked away feeling very entertained, delightfully so, and I learned things too. Entertainment should be a part of the process. It shouldn't dominate nor be the objective, but there's room for it so let it be.

I know that in the past few months (8 to be exact) that I've thoroughly enjoyed being a part of this forum. I've posted some threads, read many and I have been enlightened at times. I think what's important to remember is that for a large number of users/viewers this may be the only true "forum" where members can query and get responses that, not only satisfy their need, but allow them the opportunity to access opinions/views of many who do the same thing as they do, umpire baseball games.

The management of this forum should, I think, provide guidance to the membership informing them of the poster's who are qualified and certified to be quoting chapter and verse. It does take quite awhile to determine which poster is credible and speaks from knowledge vs. those who don't. It would save a lot of time if members could find that out sooner, rather than eventually having to figure it out by oneself.

Pete, it's far from perfect. It's a work it progress. Like you, like me. I do know this, it certainly beats what was here before. I'm planning on hanging around for awhile.

Ed

[Edited by etbaseball on Aug 29th, 2002 at 03:19 AM]
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 08:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by etbaseball

The management of this forum should, I think, provide guidance to the membership informing them of the poster's who are qualified and certified to be quoting chapter and verse. It does take quite awhile to determine which poster is credible and speaks from knowledge vs. those who don't. It would save a lot of time if members could find that out sooner, rather than eventually having to figure it out by oneself.

So, because someone owns a forum it makes them more qualified than the reader to determine who can contribute best to that open forum? Hmmm....................

I guess that would mean that when the Yankees play in Tampa that the Devil Rays are a far superior team because they're the home team. Afterall, that's the team the management has hired to represent them. I find that difficult to accept, however, because too many have seen both clubs play elsewhere and have formed their own opinions. Still, I understand hometown partisanship and following. Some in Tampa may actually believe the Devil Rays to be better for those reasons. Certainly the less knowledgeable youth of Tampa may believe the Devil Rays to be better due to the lack of experience of seeing the other clubs. They have yet to form their own opinions.

While Babe Ruth may have been one of the greatest players ever for the game of baseball, there was a time in his career when he was weak as a player. Despite his many strikeouts as a player in twilight of his career he still had significant credentials to fall back on and drew many fans to the stadium. I'd argue, however, that at that time there were many more valuable players than Ruth to the teams looking to win the competition. That doesn't mean Ruth was not a valuable asset to the club he was with. They were looking to make money, and Ruth helped to fill the seats.

Too many look for the easy answer. They hope to show up one day and bathe in the Fountain of Understanding that will provide definitive answers to all their questions. So, where does the fountain exist?

Rather than bathing in the Fountain of Understanding, my bet is that they'll become better umpires through the experience of being on the field, standing in the occasional hard knock sprinkles that fall during the game, and by going back to the room to regularly take a well deserved shower from the spicket of learning. They'll stand under many spickets during their life. Along that road in life they'll have to formulate opinions, accept and deny what they choose as best for them, and hope they've made the best decisions.

Being good at anything requires effort over time to gain experience. There is no instant success.
Those who put forth that effort are more likely to be successful.
Those bathing in the Fountain of Understanding without showering elsewhere are likely to find others around them think they need to take a shower to get rid of the stink.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Richardr10 Send a message via Yahoo to Richardr10
What is the web address for the URC board?
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

As a life-long angler, I thought "mono on mono" was a double-layered fishing line.

Bob
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 02:08pm
Official Forum Member

"Bfair" - Freix

You wrote .."So, because someone owns a forum it makes them more qualified than the reader to determine who can contribute best to that open forum? Hmmm..."

Wow! Did you fail to understand the point being made, or what? When I intimated that the management of this board should provide GUIDANCE to assist with identifying credible sources responding to queries, I didn't suggest or imply that management mandate or dictate or have absolute control over the process which would determine who those people may be. As an example, the members of the forum could be invited to participate and help select the criteria which would be used to "validate" the credibility of anyone seeking to be a certified responder. I merely indicated that management should get involved becuase I consider that part of their responsibilty. While some may not like it nor agree with the premis, management not only has the 'right' to manage, but the 'responsibility' to manage, as well.

As my response indicated, smart people listen to what others have to say. Are you trying to "TELL" me that management can not/does not have smart people on it's roster? Your response sounded rather bias against management. It also reminded me that people don't always get the message being communicated when reading something. Some people read better than others. We know this because we all read these baseball rules and case book interpertations and many still arrive at different conclusions as to what is being said or illustrated.

Clearly, the comments I intended to share, were not those that you seemed to have walked away with. Perhaps if you read it a second time, you might view it differently. Perhaps not.

[Edited by etbaseball on Aug 29th, 2002 at 02:16 PM]
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Ed, I was merely trying to point out that one needs to develop their own opinions from the information presented. They even need to develop their own opinions about WHO provides that information.

McGriffs has several posters who provide some excellent information, yet to the best of my knowledge there are no employees of the forum established as moderators.

Like life, you have to take the bad with the good.
People determine for themselves which is which, and that takes time.
Most people don't like other people telling them which is which.

Just my opinion,

Freix
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb Guidance

As a relative newbee on this board and others, I have found that the input of everyone has been extremely helpful. The input of just a few would limit my view on the topics, and therefore limit how I might handle certain situations. Even when there is distinct disagreement, both sides usually present valid arguments that are helpful to me when it comes time for me to face those issues. It is important to me to understand, at times, how situations are handled at different levels. This board has been EXTREMELY helpful there. It is also helpful to me to understand how a new umpire dealt with a situation, because it will often be quite different than how a seasoned veteran might embrace it.
As has been pointed out before, I tend to shy away from the "third world" plays, unless they are humorous, entertaining, and I have the time to read them. By the time I ever came across one, I probably would forget what I read here anyway.
So, I guess my answer to the original topic would be that I would run my board quite similar to this one. The free-flow of opinions, ideas, mechanics, and interpretations has helped me tremendously. And, it is fairly easy to identify that which is merely entertainment and skip over it to enjoy it later at my leisure.
And Tim, my rulebook has just found its rightful place in my truck. Thanks. I'm not, however, ready to give up my indicator on the bases. That, I'm sure, will come with time.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Freix -

Yes, what you say is true. However one still needs resourses from which to gather the information which will ultimate shape and establish their own opinion/position.

You are probably much more aware of the structures and operations of these internet boards than I. Perhaps there is much more control excersized than what appears to be on the surface.

People, obviously, do establish their opinions in many different ways. And while some may not ever think for themselves and resort to just believing and quoting others, many do consult and search for appropriate information which will result with, hopefully, a more informed decision regarding the opinion they chose to support.

There will always be people who choose the shortest and easiest route to answers. I don't because I know in the end those types of people get exactly what the deserve. Nothing in, nothing out.

Thanks for the response, your words/comments/opinions, while sometimes provocative, are always stimulating. You're no doubt a very competitive person. "A player" as they say.

Always remember this axiom about life: We're just passing through!

Peace -
Old Thu Aug 29, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by etbaseball

There will always be people who choose the shortest and easiest route to answers. I don't because I know in the end those types of people get exactly what the deserve. Nothing in, nothing out.
I agree with et.. on this one. I will add that much of the value of the internet in general and boards like this one (baseball or otherwise) is access to a quick answer without much research. Think of all the times we use sites like Mapquest, etc. where we want a quick answer or piece of data without the time or burden of looking the information up ourselves. Likewise for those who may not have access to the information (rules, case, etc.). "Success" usually depends on appealing to a wide audience with a wide range of expertise.

I beleive that it is possible that this board, and others on umpiring tend to discourage people looking for a quick answer (to a potentially dumb question). I will not suggest that this is good or bad, but add that answering someone's potentially stupid question (judged stupid by this community) with a flame only serves to discourage questions. Good or Bad? I have mixed feelings myself.

Entertainment is also a selling piont and I find much entertainment on this board too. There is often a fine line between sarcasm and flame. Many times it is even harder to distinguish in text.

just a thought,
Old Sun Sep 01, 2002, 11:31pm
Michael Taylor

I do have a board and it runs basically like this one. The only stipulation I have is no flaming. I feel you can answer questions and disagree without resorting to name calling and personal assaults.
I know over the past few years I have disagreed with Jim Booth, Porter, CC, Freix, and others that are considered to be knowledgable. I have also agreed with the same bunch. How does someone say this one will be right and this one won't. The only way these boards work is to have a free flow and try to reach a concensus.