The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Often on this Board and others you will frequently hear rulings or commentary differentiating kids who shave from those that don't and also the game is treated differently between the 2.

For any of you who have been watching the LLWS, you can see the difference right on TV both in the the way the game is played and umpired.

Last Night's Eastern Region Finals at Bristol Conn. one of the Harlem players before taking his place in the batter's box, pointed to Centerfield ala Babe Ruth. F1 proceeded to groove the ball right in B1's wheelhouse and B1 hit one to deep center which tied the game.

Now for those who umpire "upper" ball or ball in which the particpants shave KNOW that this would not have happened.

First and foremost as PU we would probably say something to B1 along the lines of That's enough or get ready Probably the first pitch would have been at B1's ribs. I know a commen terminology is in one's ear but that can be dangerous even for a purpose pitch.

As far as the umpiring goes. It has been good but IMO it seems the most qulaified individuals are left off the plate for some reason. I went to Bristol and in person one could tell those umpires that had experience (other than strictly doing LL) from those that didn't.

The experienced guys / gals were crisp in their calls, excellent positioning and moved the game along. The less experienced umpires were sometimes indecisive and the game dragged a little more.

Therefore, for those of you who often wonder why posters on this and other Forums differentiate kids who shave from those that don't simply watch the LLWS for the 12 and under age groups to get a good look at the difference.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Pete

I have been attending the Little League Softball World Series being played here in Portland, OR.

As many know I have never hidden my distaste for the "adult" infringement on the game as played at organized levels.

I watched 12 umpires work the series. I have seen 10 of them work the dish. And I'll make the following comments:

The "best" plate umpire for the entire World Series has not been selected to work the championship game at any umpire position.

Three umpires that have been selected are three of the most marginal umpires in the tourney. Having evaluated umpires for over 25 years I think I have a pretty educated view of what umpiring takes . . . Little League apparantly just doesn't get it.

Going into this tournament I have never met any of the umpires so I feel my view is also fair.

By watching last years LL World Series Championship game from Williamsport and watching about 9 games (live) and three more on TV here I have come to the awareness that the Little League Admistration just sees different things in umpires than trained observers.

I am sure that again in the Williamsport Championship game we will not see even the best umpires at the tournament much yet the best volunteer Little League Umpires from across the nation.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: Pete

Originally posted by Tim C

The "best" plate umpire for the entire World Series has not been selected to work the championship game at any umpire position.

Three umpires that have been selected are three of the most marginal umpires in the tourney. Having evaluated umpires for over 25 years I think I have a pretty educated view of what umpiring takes . . . Little League apparantly just doesn't get it.

Going into this tournament I have never met any of the umpires so I feel my view is also fair.

By watching last years LL World Series Championship game from Williamsport and watching about 9 games (live) and three more on TV here I have come to the awareness that the Little League Admistration just sees different things in umpires than trained observers.

I am sure that again in the Williamsport Championship game we will not see even the best umpires at the tournament much yet the best volunteer Little League Umpires from across the nation.

TEE it's not just in Oregon. I'm from NY and Bristol Conn is about a 1 hr. and 30 minute drive. I went down last week with some fellow umpires and watched all 4 games. We all did our own rating system and the results were similar. Even though I had the least exprerience (14 yrs. of service), I was pretty consistent with their evaluations.

To my surprise the PU on last nights FINAL game in Bristol wasn't the best selected. U1/U3 should have been on the dish.

The only thing one can deduct from these various selections throughout the tournament is that the selction process is political and if that is indeed true what a shame. Granted in the scheme of things for the most part it doesn't have a bearing on the outcome, but there should be some set guidelines for evaluation other than political

Pete Booth
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Politcal Blues

Pete you don't know the half of it.

The Little League Softball World Series Umpires come from 12 different states.

The final four main umpires (more on this later) are all from rural America. One of the umpires FAMILY owns the complex where the games are being played. He has worked the last SEVEN LL Softball Championships.

This is the SAME umpire that:

1) is family friends with all the the girls from Beaverton, OR team. He has umpired them ALL since they started playing in the area.

2) is the same umpire that at inning breaks DANCES to the music being played while he is on the field.

3) is the same umpire that smokes his cigerette while walking through the crowd and discards it ONLY when he enters the field of play.

4) is the same guy umpiring first base for the World Championship game (which includes the local team that he has "grown-up" with).

BTW, the other eight umpires not selected for the championship game will all alternate working a foul line and rotate every inning.

I am embarrassed for Little League Umpiring.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

I am the UIC for our local little league and I have to admit that the conclusions drawn so far are true. While there is a baseline level of competency necessary to be selected to tournament games, it is by no means a question of who is the best umpire. My experience has been that it is extremely political as I have seen excellent umpires passed over year after year in favor of better connected ones.

The big issue in my mind is that I do not see anyone trying to institute and manage any kind of a quantitative system to rate umpires based on their performance. Coming from the business world, when I first started umpiring this was one of the first things that I asked about, and was told that there was no formal process. As best as I can tell, the only measure of any kind is word of mouth and maybe some half hearted attempts at getting feedback from coaches.

There is an old adage in business that what you measure will improve, you just have to make sure that you are measuring the right thing. Seems to me that LL umpiring could stand some standards and some measurement.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Two things:

1. Seems like the media is claiming that just mabey some of those boys really do shave?????

2. Why does anyone find it shocking that assignments are sometimes made for other reasons besides ability. I have grown accustomed to this for many years and have found that regardless of how much I may feel that it is right or wrong, its still happens. "That politics, you know"!!!!????

Our Baseball Chapter (28 members), has not done a HS playoff game in 5 years because we don't suck up to the right people. I called the head of PIAA to complain and the only satisfaction I received was the time I spent questioning why my members are being screwed. I don't find it alarming whatsoever because I believe to some extent it happens in most sports.

I, myself, will never except it for the officials I represent and constantly try to estblish a fair system to deal with this. However, I fully understand it truly is an uphill battle.
Old Wed Aug 14, 2002, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Pete

Quote:

In tonight's Championship game, I couldn't help but notice the RF official (who may have only had this one call in the entire game) start to bring his hands up as if kill the ball for a foul call----and then suddenly point fair.......
They never showed good replays, but it was obvious to tell RFU had some apprehension in his call.

There was also an appeal play at 3B after a caught fly in short center.
BU3 and PU discuss the call before making the decision..............
What's there to discuss???????? Make the call!!!
Six umps on a dinky diamond and they can't make a simple appeal call without discussing it?
What was BU3 watching---the LL moms in the 4th row?

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jicecone
[B]Two things:

1. Seems like the media is claiming that just mabey some of those boys really do shave?????

Nope - they're reporting a claim that they don't live in the league boundaries.
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Pete

Originally posted by Bfair

There was also an appeal play at 3B after a caught fly in short center.
BU3 and PU discuss the call before making the decision..............
What's there to discuss???????? Make the call!!!
Six umps on a dinky diamond and they can't make a simple appeal call without discussing it?
What was BU3 watching---the LL moms in the 4th row?

Steve IMO, 6 umps on a 60 ft. diamond is WAY WAY TOO many. The ONLY reason they have 6 is not for coverage purposes but simply to honor certain individuals.

Also, one is working with unfamiliar crews, plus as was mentioned, the crews chosen aren't the most qulaified which leads to confusion sometimes.

When's the last time you made a Fair / Foul call from being in RF someplace. It's unfamiliar territory. With the exception of a liner over U1/U3, the crew is better off having the PU take all FAIR / FOUL because that's what everyone is used to.

60 ft. diamond all you need is 3 EXPERIENCED umpires and EVRYTHING will be covered.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Aug 15, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

I figured they had 6 umps to show the TV audience how ultra-serious and professional the LL World Series is.

Best umps not doing the key games? What else is new?