The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to FVB_Ryan
I wonder sometimes on the apropos of a base ump eating and spitting sunflower seeds. I once had the idea "the players do it, why cant I?" But since then I have realized that if I were to take that attitude for many other things, I, as the umpire, would be doing some very inappropriate things. For example, if a player makes a mistake, he may get verbally disgruntled with himself. Clearly, an umpire cannot do the same thing after realizing he kicked a call. At the same time however, being verbally upset at one's self, is not the same as eating sunflower seeds. Any opinions?
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to robert
I dont eat sunflower seeds on the field, but not becuase it might look bad. Really, I cant seperate the seeds and shell and when I try I stop concentrating on whatever else Im doing. Last year was when I stopped eating sunflower seed when I was BU and didnt even see a play at first because I was so preoccupied with the seeds. But I say, if you can do the seeds, eat them on the field. Nothing unprofessional about it in my oppinion.
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 05:02pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me like it would give the coach one more bullet for his gun when he came after you. I have always believed that presentation has a lot to do with how you are treated. I personally would not do it.
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 08:25pm
Official Forum Member

I have yet to figure out what sunflower seeds have to do with baseball, besides the fact that nobody get upset with spitting the shells all over the field. I guess it better than tobacco, but I never quite understood how anyone could chew that either. Oh well just my opinion.

Then again, mabey I was never talented enough to do all those things at one time. Don't really see a problem with it though.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to moose69
what about gum???

Tyler
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Tyler

I thought the same thing.

To me baseball is a spittin', scratchin', cup adjustin' type game and there seems to be a stance here about spiting of any kind.

When I umpire I spit . . . I don't chew seed, I don't chew WB Cut . . . I walk on to a baseball field and I spit.

I hardly think that this thread should be dominated by the "Felix Ungers" of umpiring.

I agree that tobacco chewing is against the rules for the 99.999999% of us. We don't work in "The Show" . . . But, what if, you had a plug of Sugar Babies in your check ("just a pinch between cheek and gum") I hardly think it would be "unprofessional" to spit on the ground.

[Edited by Tim C on Aug 5th, 2002 at 03:04 PM]
Old Mon Aug 05, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Tyler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

But, what if, you had a plug of Sugar Babies in your check ("just a pinch between cheek and gum") I hardly think it would be "unprofessional" to spit on the ground.

[Edited by Tim C on Aug 5th, 2002 at 03:04 PM]
We agree, Tee, and it sounds like some may even have a Sugar Baby in the stands as referenced by the other thread regarding umpire behavior.......LOL

Just my opinion,

Freix