The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire View Post
Sorry, I was just repeating from an email from MLB offices. I'll notify them of their error.
Sorry, Mr. Umpire, sir, and I am certainly very sorry also to your special friends at MLB.

[The Sporting News published the OBR for decades, including the early part of this one]
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

I have no special friends at MLB. I don't know why you'd assume that. MLB stated in a release that TSN had printed the book and MLB was the publisher. Obviously, they were mistaken.

I don't know why you seem to think this is such a big deal. I doubt anyone else cares.

Last edited by MrUmpire; Tue Nov 24, 2009 at 06:51pm.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 03:58pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
APBA is a table top baseball game played with cards that have columns of dice rolls and a number after that that represents a play.

What made both Strat-O-matic and APBA different from other games is that they both used offensive, defensive and pitching statistics from the previous season to establish perfomance that was statistically accurate to real time games.

You had envelopes with 20 man rosters (you get get extra players @ extra cost) that you built starting lineups of your own. The included batting orders based on the "most used" line-up from the actual season.

Every player had a defensive rating (for positions played during the season) and there was a default value if a player was used out of position.

Pitching was based on a "Class" basis. An "A" pitcher was a top performer and the rest went dow to a "Class" D pitcher that was basically a spot starter or mop-up man.

Each pitcher also could have other highlights noted (strikeout pitchers had an x and/or a y rating, great control pitchers would have a z and wild guys would have a w).

Offensively there were three columns of dice roles:

11 or a 1 and a 1 was the start. We then progress through all possible dice combinations. Each of the combinations had a number to the right that indicated an action on a play board.

Double numbers were almost always good offensive perfomance and certain other outcomes wre consistantly bad.

The critical part of the game were play boards. Each board carried a possible opportunity of each individual runners on base possibility.

Now this is a real basic description of the game. All of us that played the game for years still have the play boards memorized so there were no long term searchs for play outcome.

If you consider that these games and statistics were (orginally) basically defined during a time without computers it is really amaziong the accuracy of both games.

Regards,
I feel deprived, as I had no knowledge of such a game as a youth in the 60s and 70s Can this game still be obtained at a reasonable cost?
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve View Post
I feel deprived, as I had no knowledge of such a game as a youth in the 60s and 70s Can this game still be obtained at a reasonable cost?
$20 to $40 on ebay depending on vintage and condition.
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 04:54pm
I hate Illinois Nazis

APBA Website

Welcome to APBAGames.com
Old Tue Nov 24, 2009, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

See, that's how little I know about it.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 01:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratref View Post
Actually for accuracy Strat-O-Matic blows APBA out of the water.

Jasper

PS: This is just to start a holy war on table top baseball simulations, no malice intended
I had ( and loved Statis Pro)

We had a league during college. Many a class was missed due to a game available on the schedule.

I also remember bringing our player cards to class and working on trades in the back of the class room.

Ahhhhh the memories....
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Finnerty View Post
[The Sporting News published the OBR for decades, including the early part of this one]
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that The Sporting News was the only publisher of the OBR. They were not. Triumph Books has published the OBR for years-- and the pages have fallen out for years.

MLB can also claim to be a publisher, because the word "publisher" doesn't have a crisply defined meaning. "Copyright" does, though, and MLB holds the copyright on the rules themselves, while TSN and Triumph have copyrights to, for example, their cover art.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
My first set of APBA cards covered the 1957 season.

We played the game hours on end.

There has NEVER been a more accurate baseball board game.

Regards,
Ahhh yes! I played the Strat-O-Matic in my youth. Everyone in the neighborhood was involved (even some of the girls). I never heard of the APBA game here on the East Coast. It may have been available, but when I bought in (literally, no one could afford to buy one themselves), the neighborhood was all Strat-O-Matic.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post
I'm not sure if you are suggesting that The Sporting News was the only publisher of the OBR. They were not. Triumph Books has published the OBR for years-- and the pages have fallen out for years.
So did NBC. And, perhaps surprisingly, there were one or two (relatively small) differences. Personally, I preferred the format of the NBC book (it was smaller).

One of the differences: The NBC book said that when a pitcher was visited for the second time, he had to be removed "from the game." TSN just said he "had to be removed." The former is, of course, the MLB ruling (I think the rules on MLB.com at the time also omitted the "from the game" phrase.")
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed View Post

MLB can also claim to be a publisher, because the word "publisher" doesn't have a crisply defined meaning. "Copyright" does, though, and MLB holds the copyright on the rules themselves, while TSN and Triumph have copyrights to, for example, their cover art.
I did not. I simply insisted that TSN was a publisher of the OBR until recently and that they were authorized by MLB to be so.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Slow day.

Don't confuse a generic "publish" with the meaning of "publish" in a legal sense.

In legalese, one of the definitions of publish includes:

b: to distribute or offer for distribution to the public copies of (a copyrightable work) by some transfer of ownership, rental, lease, or loan

Note the "transfer of ownership" part. As MLB did not transfer ownership to either SN or Triumph, those companies did not, in the legal sense, "publish" the book. MLB is just protecting their rights when they state that SN did not "publish" the book.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Slow day.

Don't confuse a generic "publish" with the meaning of "publish" in a legal sense.

In legalese, one of the definitions of publish includes:

b: to distribute or offer for distribution to the public copies of (a copyrightable work) by some transfer of ownership, rental, lease, or loan

Note the "transfer of ownership" part. As MLB did not transfer ownership to either SN or Triumph, those companies did not, in the legal sense, "publish" the book. MLB is just protecting their rights when they state that SN did not "publish" the book.
Good luck with this. I had written a similar post and then decided to delete it.
Old Wed Nov 25, 2009, 11:03pm
Is this a legal title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
So did NBC. And, perhaps surprisingly, there were one or two (relatively small) differences. Personally, I preferred the format of the NBC book (it was smaller).

One of the differences: The NBC book said that when a pitcher was visited for the second time, he had to be removed "from the game." TSN just said he "had to be removed." The former is, of course, the MLB ruling (I think the rules on MLB.com at the time also omitted the "from the game" phrase.")
That was a NL/AL difference in interpretation for a time in the instructions to umpires. NL said "removed from the game," AL said "removed from the mound." Boy, did it annoy the managers in the summer leagues, who played "National League rules" and thought it just meant "no DH," when I enforced that.