The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GarthB
brandda is quoted as saying: "I don't see how this can be sloughed off to the home office. You are the man on the field and it is your call to make. Take responsibility for it.

I personally think it was a stupid call."

I haven't seen any evidence that the ump is not taking responsibility for making the call. He made it, in accordance with his instructions, and he said it was justified. He has taken responsiblity.

Under the cirmcmstances, e.g. the situation fit one of the those given to him as "ejection time", I think he made the correct call.

[Edited by GarthB on Aug 3rd, 2002 at 03:47 PM]
Garth - My point is this. Having made a bad call, he gives the excuse that "he was following directives from MLB". Who cares? If you blow the call, be a man and say so. Don't try to make excuses by invoking a higher authority.

BTW - The higher authority tends not to like it when you use them as a shield so I do not know what he thinks he accomplished.
Old Sun Aug 04, 2002, 05:22pm
Official Forum Member

"Garth - My point is this. Having made a bad call, he gives the excuse that "he was following directives from MLB". Who cares? If you blow the call, be a man and say so. Don't try to make excuses by invoking a higher authority."

1. You are assuming that the ump believed he made a bad call.

Obviously he does not share your opinion. He, according to interviews, believed he made the correct call and then gave the reason he had such a belief. That's not making excuses.

2. Why on earth should he "be a man and say so" when he doesn't believe he made a mistake? Do you admit to mistakes you don't believe you made?

If you disagree with what he did, fine, that is your right. But it is not your right to ascribe your motives to his actions. He is allowed his own reasons.

GB

[Edited by GarthB on Aug 4th, 2002 at 05:58 PM]